Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2005, 12:33 PM

Default Your longest break-even stretches?

Well, I'm starting to seriously doubt my SnG skillz. First there was the 20+ OOTM streak, but I came over that, but now I have a long break even stretch at the $22's (with some $33's mixed in), all in my first 1000. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I'm not doing very well at the moment, and this morning I thought I could check the stats since I have been 8-tabling. I've played about 284, with a 1% ROI and 33% ITM. Small sample size of course, but it worries me.
The odd thing is that my 1st/2nd/3rd distribution isn't aweful, but I just don't finish ITM enough, (and a lot on the bubble). This should mean I play bad on the bubble, but I play a normal push/fold strategy when I have less than 10BB. I have SNG PT, and I know I always push when it's clearly +EV, only occasionaly I push something that is close, and might be -EV, but this should not make a big difference. I don't believe 8-tabling has such an impact on my ROI. It must be bad luck. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

So what's your longest break even stretches? I'll feel better about it if you post worse runs. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-08-2005, 02:02 PM

Default Re: Your longest break-even stretches?

I've heard some of the higher buyin regulars claiming 1000 games of breakeven. I've run some simulations on Excel and this is very likey, even 2000 games for a 10% roi player is not out of the question.
Old 10-08-2005, 02:16 PM

Search for the word BREAkEVEN and i got this:

Worst downswing, and at what level

My own 649 game breakeven at 50+5:
THREAD
Old 10-08-2005, 02:43 PM

Thanks AA suited.

"3) Write down results of how you lost each SnG." you say in one of your posts. I'm going to start doing it.

It will either fix leaks or tell me that I have been running very bad. I should also go over my games in SnG PT, but I'm so unbelievably lazy, it's not funny anymore. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-08-2005, 02:58 PM

Lots of good stuff in those 2 threads posted by AAsuited. 284 breakeven is nuthin. I don't keep accurate records any more (expect for hours played and $) but recently I had a stretch of 2 months and covering 1000 sngs where I showed very little profit for my efforts.

When I ran bad for what seemed like forever I'm pretty sure it affected my play somewhat specifically I think I was at times too timid when it came to bubble time. In one of the threads in AAsuited post someone suggests not playing if emotions are getting in your way and I think this is sound advice. T
When you're allin with KK against Ax and watch the cards come and believe even as the river card is turning that it will be an ace then it's time to shut it down. Bad attitude leads to bad play.

For me the hardest part of playing sngs is playing well during downswings. I'm an emotional person by nature so it's really hard sometimes.

Good luck.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not doing very well at the moment, and this morning I thought I could check the stats since I have been 8-tabling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Drop down to 4.

[ QUOTE ]
The odd thing is that my 1st/2nd/3rd distribution isn't aweful, but I just don't finish ITM enough, (and a lot on the bubble). This should mean I play bad on the bubble, but I play a normal push/fold strategy when I have less than 10BB. I have SNG PT, and I know I always push when it's clearly +EV, only occasionaly I push something that is close, and might be -EV

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you're waiting for big hands to push on the bubble. I reckon you're getting blinded down to a point where you have very little fold equity and get called with lesser hands and lose. Push a bit more than you are.