Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2005, 09:33 PM

Default Were there any 2+2ers in the 8am Foxwoods on 7/5/05?

(x-post from B+M)

I took it down, and was just wondering if I went through any of you on my way to victory...particularly at the final table.

This was my first live MTT win. I've been at my share of final tables, with a couple 2nds and 3rds, and I've got a few MTT wins online and in large home games, but finally winning a "real" live one just felt soooooo much better...! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-06-2005, 10:52 PM

Default Re: Were there any 2+2ers in the 8am Foxwoods on 7/5/05?

I wanted to post my report from B+M to get comments on the 2 hands I discuss:

[ QUOTE ]
congrats.

so you going to give us a report of the tourney?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks.

Strangely, it was a relatively uneventful tourney. After being down to 200 at my first table, then battling back to 1200 by the first break (when the blinds were going to be 150-300), I started gaining a little steam. I doubled up with AA, then quickly picked up a couple more pots to get myself to about 7k. Then came an interesting hand. I am on the button with AKo. UTG is big stack with about 10k in chips and raises to 1500 (I think blinds were 200-400), everyone folds to me and I push - what do you think of this play? My thinking at the time was he should fold QQ or lower to protect his stack, because I was representing AA or KK, or at best he was 50/50 if I had AK. Anyway, my thinking was wrong, he called w/ QQ and I lucked out when a K hit the river and I'm sitting on ~14k for the second break. No hands of note for a while, I pick up a few pots here and there and arrive at the final table with 26k out of 290k in play.

The final table was pretty easy. I made a few steals to keep up with blinds and antes, and just sat back and watched everyone pick each other off for a while. Once we got to 5-handed, I had about 45k. I was in the BB w/ Ks4h and the button min-raises. Both the SB and I call, and the flop comes Js 9s 2s. SB checks, and I push. Button folds, and SB asks me "how big is your spade?" I told him "if you have to ask, then it's bigger than yours" and he calls - he's got the 10s, but he also paired his 9 - uh oh. So he's standing up yelling "NO SPADES! NO SPADES!" and then voila - my K pairs on the riv again and I'm sitting on 90k. After that it was pretty much a blur to get heads-up, but when we got there I had more than 200k of the 290k in play. I did double him up once, but managed to finish it off a couple hands later when my KQ paired the K on a 2-heart flop, he called my all-in with Ah4h, and his last heart (or an ace) didn't come.

I was replaying the tournament in my head afterwards, and I'm pretty sure I didn't have a single straight, flush, or full-house the entire tournament. I won the whole thing with pairs, 2 pairs, and the occasional trips - I thought that was pretty weird.

Anyway, I didn't intend to write a full report, but I guess there you have it.

Oh, and afterwards I also discovered that the new 2/4 NL is a 100x better game than 1/2 NL at Foxwoods. I will never play 1/2 again - you can actually start with enough a stack in 2/4 to not have to play super-tight until you get some chips.