Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 02:50 PM

Default Trouble in the SB

It has come to my attention lately that I have no standards for myself at all for how to play the SB pre-flop, and I feel like this could be a leak in my game. I wish I could use actual hands to make this a more specific post, but I'll ask a general question. At the microlimits (I play at .25/.50 right now) in a full ring game, when do you generally complete the SB? I find myself either playing SB like I would play in EP, and I think that play might be too tight considering it's only a fraction of a bet to complete the SB. However, when I put myself in that train of thought, I feel I might be playing too loose.

Can someone possible enlighten me with what your general strategy is here? I know this may seem like such a basic concept, but it's bothering me. Thanks.

- thing85 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 08-11-2005, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Trouble in the SB

In an unraised pot you will ordinarily be getting excellent odds on a call out of the SB but you will be OOP for the rest of the hand.

You can call liberally with hands that will make big hands like sets, fulshes and str8's in this spot especially if the pot will be four-way or more. This means anything suited, medium unsuited connectors, offsuit broadway and all small pocket pairs.

If the action comes to you with only one limper raise liberally with all your strong holdings to knock out the BB and steal the pot on the flop when you bet and the limper misses.

In a raised pot you need to tighten up considerably unless the raise is from the CO or button indicating a stealin which case you want to reraise with your stronger hands and fold the rest. Playing OOP and having to pay 1.5 bets to do it it is not a good idea unless the action is going to be multiway and you have a hand that likes multiway action like pocket pairs, suited connectors and big suited broadway (many of these you'll reraise for value in this spot)
Old 08-11-2005, 03:15 PM

That all sounds pretty good to me. I'll attempt to apply that correctly (which might be difficult...).

Thanks for the help. [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 08-11-2005, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the action comes to you with only one limper raise liberally with all your strong holdings (from the SB) to knock out the BB and steal the pot on the flop when you bet and the limper misses.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if the limp came from EP?

What if the limp came from EP and the player is tight?