Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 02:13 PM

Default Phil Gordon\'s Little Green Book Starting Hands

I've read the book as well as looked at the color starting hand charts on his web site - http://lgb.philgordonpoker.com/index.php?q=node/15.

I may be naive but it's not clear to me what are his starting hands in each position. In the case of "average game," it appears that in early position he's playing (raising) only AA-JJ plus AKs and AQs. But what other hands is he playing in early position? The different colors and lack of elaboration from Phil make it difficult to fully understand.

Appreciate everyone's input.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Phil Gordon\'s Little Green Book Starting Hands

[ QUOTE ]
I've read the book as well as looked at the color starting hand charts on his web site - http://lgb.philgordonpoker.com/index.php?q=node/15.

I may be naive but it's not clear to me what are his starting hands in each position. In the case of "average game," it appears that in early position he's playing (raising) only AA-JJ plus AKs and AQs. But what other hands is he playing in early position? The different colors and lack of elaboration from Phil make it difficult to fully understand.

[/ QUOTE ]

i can't look at the site from work. but why would he be playing more hands? that sounds like typical TA advice in a ring game.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:40 PM

Weird chart. Looks like if the letters themselves are colored, it is part of the unsuited hands, otherwise it is a suited hand. So for example in the average game, K10,Q10,J10 and QJ has their letters colored "dealer" -light green but within a "late" postion colored box - dark green. So you would play those if they are unsuited in dealer position, but could play them from late position if they are suited. (makes sense right - unsuited are not quite as good) I'm also guessing that if the letters are black within a colored box, that means play them suited or unsuited from that box's indicated position????????? I could be very wrong about that.
And yes, the chart is that tight from early position. It is no limit baby!!! One thing the chart doesn't address is what happens if there is a raise in front of you. I imagine just tighten up to early position hands, similar to what Lederer's chart indicates.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I may be naive but it's not clear to me what are his starting hands in each position. In the case of "average game," it appears that in early position he's playing (raising) only AA-JJ plus AKs and AQs. But what other hands is he playing in early position?

[/ QUOTE ]

The charts don't tell you. They all seem to be open raising charts.

The charts are of the style used by pokerstove.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:15 PM

I just realized I screwed up the whole thing, the upper half is suited, the lower half is unsuited. Duh. I didn't see they repeat. Sorry bout that.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:35 AM

sorry, i don't understand that chart at all..... don't understand each chart and don't understand the colors of the chart....
Old 10-05-2005, 12:03 PM

I really like these charts now that I know how they work.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:46 PM

He plays to tight. Maybe he doesn't have much experience playing live cash games.

Vince
Old 10-06-2005, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He plays to tight. Maybe he doesn't have much experience playing live cash games.

[/ QUOTE ]

First, as Gordon himself says, he rarely plays in cash games. I expect that his starting hand guidance is for tournaments.

Second, if I were to create starting hand guidelines for other people, I'd make the default recommendations on the tight side as well.

The tone of your post leads me to think that you believe that Gordon's starting hand recommendations are flawed. I'm not a big fan of starting hand charts, and there are suggestions he makes with which I disagree. However, I don't think his recommendations are way out of line given the context in which he presents them.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

His starting hand chart is confusing. And it doesn't state how to deal with a raise or a raise/reraise to you with the hands. It only refers to position and the hand. I mostly ignored that section of the book because it didn't make sense. I'll use the starting hands from other works or really, what feels right to me at this point given the betting structure and other game conditions.