Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2005, 08:53 PM

Default Live 3/6 Hand - An easy Fold?

This was a live 3/6 hand.

The table was very nice, mostly loose passives, two calling stations and one tight passive lady.

I had established a wild agressive image by raising with such terrible hands as AQ and JJ, which I was told by two people are hands that I should just call with.

I was on the button with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

UTG+1 limps (She is a total moron, doesn't really know how to play, doesn't know how much to bet, can't seem to count to three, always confused as to who won the hand, she's played the last 10 hands to the turn and usually folds on the river to a bet. Very Loose, and VERY passive.)

Everyone folds to me, I raise, SB fold, BB fold, it's now heads up between me and the EP Limper.

Flop:
A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG+1 Checks, I bet, UTG+1 calls

Turn:
5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG+1 Checks, I bet, UTG+1 Raises

At this point I was considering folding because I had not seen this lady raise once in the last 45 minutes and I was almost sure that she had a five. The thing that was very weird was that I don't think she knew she was check raising, after I bet she said "Can I raise, or do I have to call", I don't know if it was an act, but considering the things she had been saying over the last hour and the way she was playing I was thinking she was confused about the rules.

Hero... ?
Old 11-20-2005, 08:58 PM

Default Re: Live 3/6 Hand - An easy Fold?

Bruno,

This hand is so read dependent that it's really hard for us to give a good response because we weren't there. I don't know what happened exactly when she bet, but I think based on your general read this is a pretty standard spot to fold.

Joe Tall made a useful post earlier in the week about hands like this. Calling down top pair against super passive players on dangerous turns is just not worth it usually.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:33 PM

You immediately call. Your read is that she probably doesn't realize what a check-raise is. So, if this lady hit a third 5 she would give it away with probably a facial tell and then lead out. I would be more nervous if she led out. You call because she probably has a mid pair in her hand or a weak ace. On the river you look for some obsurd tell and if she checks again u check it down
Old 11-20-2005, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You immediately call. Your read is that she probably doesn't realize what a check-raise is. So, if this lady hit a third 5 she would give it away with probably a facial tell and then lead out. I would be more nervous if she led out. You call because she probably has a mid pair in her hand or a weak ace. On the river you look for some obsurd tell and if she checks again u check it down

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. You're giving way too much attention to facial tells and other unreliable stuff like that.

The point I really take issue with is the river check. If she checks and you really don't think she has any idea what she's doing, but has a hand like a mid pair or a weak pair, this is a clear value bet. I'm certainly not calling this turn and not letting any bet go in on the river. Once she checks you're ahead a ton of the time.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:30 PM

you said it yourself..its the first time you've seen her raise. If you fold every time she raises your still way ahead.

she could have AA and jsut realized she has FH, 55, A5, etc

just fold and watch how disapointed she is..then ask herwhat she had

brian