Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 12:48 AM

Default Flop bottom set and there\'s a likely straight on the turn

Pretty new to the table, game seemed loose aggressive, so no real reads yet on any of the players. I feel OK with how I played preflop, flop and river (but feel free to criticize). Question I have is the for the turn. Should I have check/called on the turn given the likely straight rather than risk the check/raise or is the turn bet still a value bet with my set? Once I was check raised, should I have 3-bet?

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (10 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP3 folds, SB calls, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (11 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, SB calls.

River: (19 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Final Pot: 23 BB
Old 10-19-2005, 12:50 AM

Default Re: Flop bottom set and likely straight on the turn

bleh

you should have check raised the flop, my man,
Old 10-19-2005, 12:58 AM

Default Re: Flop bottom set and there\'s a likely straight on the turn

Check-raise the flop. Do you really want PFR to blow out the field?

3-bet the turn. I don't give him credit for a straight. He could have K9/Q9/KQ for two pair or some worse top pair hands like AK or KJ. (Looking into the future, I don't think KQ/Q9 actually happened).
Old 10-19-2005, 01:01 AM

Please explain why I should check-raise the flop? With UTG-1 raising pre-flop I thought there was a good chance he would raise me on the flop allowing me to get in three bets.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:01 AM

That is the perfect board and the perfect spot to checkraise the flop. You lost a lot not doing that.

As for the turn. What makes you so scared of the straight. I'd 3-bet turn. If capped i'd check call a blank river and if the river paired then I'd raise.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:02 AM

You want to trap the table. They would all call UTG+1's bets then you would raise and they would all call your bet on top.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:05 AM

By betting and UTG-1 raising and my 3-bets, I got 3 people in for 3 bets. Am I being too results oriented on this hand? Is the thought that most of the time I do this, I get too many folders. It's just that in this case it worked out?
Old 10-19-2005, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
By betting and UTG-1 raising and my 3-bets, I got 3 people in for 3 bets. Am I being too results oriented on this hand? Is the thought that most of the time I do this, I get too many folders. It's just that in this case it worked out?

[/ QUOTE ]
To your questions: Yes, yes, and yes.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:11 AM

Theres a good chance that by you betting and him raising that the whole table folds, leaving you with UTG and thats it.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:39 AM

Yeah go ahead and 3-bet that turn. He could raise any 2-pair hand here and even if he has a straight you have plenty out outs. If he caps then I think you can give him credit for a better hand and check-call the river barring improvement. If you fill up I'd bet/3-bet the river.