Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 06:01 PM

Default But this is just silly, isn\'t it?

This is too loose on third, too aggressive on fourth and then very lucky on fifth, I think. Any thoughts? I've been trying to play more aggressively and get more bets in, but this is a bit much, isn't it?

7 Card Stud High ($2/$4), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $1 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.75 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street - (2.75 SB)

Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___double raises

5th Street - (5.88 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

Total pot: (5.88 BB)

Results:
Main Pot: $26.50 | Rake: $1
Old 08-11-2005, 06:10 PM

Default Re: But this is just silly, isn\'t it?

double raising 4th is really bad I think even though you have the other two 8's. At this point you should be trying to draw as cheaply as possible.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:12 PM

With the dead 8, 3rd is an easy fold. I guess 4th isn't SO bad, but once the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] calls you've got to be kicking yourself. Really surprised you took this down on fifth.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:38 AM

Third is a fold. Having an Eight out is very, very bad for your hand. Having an Ace and a King behind you isn't too great either.

Fourth is interesting. I think it's a fold, but I'm not terribly confident in my assessment. I probably don't raise in any case.

Fifth is a major coup. Don't expect anything like this to happen again any time soon.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:15 AM

Default Hello,Simon! Excellent play! UR semi-dead split 8\'s with ..

with a live "J" and a live 2-flush is playable--unless u believe that players after u will raise. I'm assuming that there is not much aggression at ur table.
UR double suit on 4th sets up a nice semi-bluff if another same suit appears on 5th. On 4th,the other players are reading u for a flush draw with a semi-bluff raise. In reality ,u are trying to knockout the "A". U do not want him taging along. And U hope he doesn't have a 4-flush. So 4th is either a RAISE or a FOLD.
Having knocked out the "A",u now have an overcard with ur "J" and a backdoor flush. Having connected with another suited card,u convinced ur oppos. u completed ur flush.
UR 3rd Str. play would have been incorrect if u were in an aggressive field. However,in a field that's mostly passive,calling ur semi-dead "8" with ur "J" and 2-flush for one bet provides u with sufficient equity to buy a 4th Str. card. ur play was NOT loose. Nice take down! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
HappyPokering, [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
SittingBull
Old 08-12-2005, 05:45 AM

What in the world could the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] have to limp on 3rd, call a double raise on 4th, then fold on 5th after catching the 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]???? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-12-2005, 06:09 AM

3rd street is very bad with one of your 8's missing, not closing the action and tons of overcards behidn you.

4th is kind of interesting. you got lucky that seat 5 is a complete idiot though. i have no idea what he'd call a raise with on 4th street only to fold on 5th street when it seems like he improves your hand.