Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 09:25 PM

Default 30/60 set of 7s big 3 way pot.

full table, dealt 7s7h on the button, UTG+1(TAG) raises, folded to me, i 3 bet, sb folds, bb(from the little i've seen fairly tight pre, but will call down to the river with marginal hands.) calls, UTG+1 calls.

From what i had seen before, UTG+1's only calling my 3 bet left me 99% sure he did not have AA, KK or QQ. I have played with him before and have seen him cap QQ,KK, AA whenever he had the chance. his likely holdings, would be 88 or 99-JJ, AK,AQ, AJ maybe Ats. however given his post flop play i was certain he had to have had AK.

Now with the BB, i also would have thought he would cap AA or KK and probably QQ. Though there is a slight chance he could have called with QQ, the way he played the turn convinced me otherwise. The most logical holding for the sb in my mind was aq.

Comments street by street? too aggressive?

flop: As Qh 7d.
UTG+1 checks I bet, BB raises, utg+1 3 bets, I call, BB caps, utg+1 calls, I call.

turn: As Qh 7d Kc. UTG+1 bets, i call, BB raises, UTG+1 3 bets, I cap, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: As Qh 7d Kc 6h
UTG+1 bets, I raise, BB calls, UTG+1 3 bets, i cap, BB calls, utg+1 calls.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:41 PM

Default Re: 30/60 set of 7s big 3 way pot.

I'd have become uneasy about the time it was 2 cold to me on the turn. You 3-bet pf, capped the flop and the board is AKQ. Why are they both atill attacking you? You hold a set, and that's normally good, but with this action, you actually hold a WEAKER hand than what they should put you on.

You just called the first bet, so you've given a bit of decection, but still, capping the turn and river here is just burning money. Your turn cap screams AA, and UTG is still attacking. Slow down.

If you won this, your opponents are terrible hand readers.

Good luck.
Eric
Old 08-16-2005, 09:46 PM

i thought about slowing down, but i just really thought i was up against AK and AQ. ah well i suck.

edit: you don't think there is anyway utg+1 has AK? also the BB slowed down right away so he most likely does not have QQ, KK, or AA.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:34 PM

with two players i would slow down on the turn and most definitely on the river. you can't fold but i dont think you should be capping both streets either.

I agree that their most likely holdings are AK and AQ but QQ is a possibility from the BB and maybe even KK and AA slowplayed preflop. You have to think that AQ or AK would realize that their two pair isn't that strong given the board and the betting and slow down. Given this, one of them could have the set given they are not terrible players.

Also, what about a fold preflop?
Old 08-16-2005, 10:42 PM

normally i would have slowed down here but i was just acting on what i felt was a really strong read. slowing down would have probably been wiser still, despite thinking i was still ahead.

i dont know about folding given i will have position through out the hand. my 3 bet was trying to isolate against the raiser.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont know about folding given i will have position through out the hand. my 3 bet was trying to isolate against the raiser.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see why you would want to isolate here. A raise from a TAG in early position seems pretty legit to me. You're only ahead against big cards AK and AQ, you're way behind to all pairs bigger. I fold here without a second thought.

Anyway, what were the hands? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-16-2005, 10:59 PM

what is the TAG's raising percent preflop?

it would have to be very very high to warrant raising 77 after UTG tag raises.

just not a good play ev wise.

for example, in HPFAP mason and david suggest loosening your 3betting requirements IF the early position raiser is a LAG. they suggest reraising AQ and 88. they dont even MENTION 77.

onto the hand.

you must slow down at some point here. its very very clear to me that bottom set might not be good on teh turn and is certinaly not worth any more excessive action at that point.

-Barron
Old 08-16-2005, 11:00 PM

Default Re: 30/60 set of 7s big 3 way pot. EDIT: results

UTG+1 had AK and BB had AQ.

but i guess i just played it bad and got lucky.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:08 PM

sorry i dont have poker tracker to keep track of those stats. but he is not a rock but he is not loose either. i simply did not think enough before i made the raise. that's one thing i need to work on. gotta think longer and more indepth on every move. but once i made the raise i was soo sure UTG+1 did not have AA KK or QQ because never in all the times ive played with him have i seen him slowplay those three big pairs. even if he did have QQ he would have folded on the flop with all that action and would not have been reraising.

but yea, i suppose i just really played that hand bad
Old 08-16-2005, 11:13 PM

fold before the flop