Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 04:32 PM

Default Standard stud8 fold?

7 Card Stud High-Low ($2/$4), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $1 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.88 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 5: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 8: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street - (5.88 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises

5th Street - (5.94 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (7.94 BB)

Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

Total pot: (7.94 BB)

I posted this once but the thread dissapeared for some reason? Anyway here's try #2.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Standard stud8 fold?

Looks standard to me, I think a case can be made for folding fifth, but the pot is prett big by that point so I don't mind taking a card off.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:06 PM

Grunching in a Stud forum . . .

I might think of bet/folding 5th. Looks to me like Villain has a very live spade draw. Villain definitely has Hero pegged on KK. Villain probably has his low so is not folding with Hero's board and has excellent chances of scooping. Hero needs way too much improvement and is only playing for half of the pot.

I'm still learning Stud8 though so I could be way off.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:01 PM

I'm also just learning stud8. It seems like low spades are the only thing villian can reasonably have here. If he has that I think we should be folding on 5th. He could easily be freerolling already and if he isn't he has a lot of chances to beat us both ways.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:32 PM

I limp on third. With only one player besides the bring-in yet to act, you're not going to fold much of anybody. I really don't want to play this hand five ways for one bet.

I think the bet on fourth is fine, and I would check and call fifth street as well. Having made it to sixth street, I would call this one down. I do think that if you're going to fold sixth, you shouldn't call on fifth. You're getting about 2:1 on your money, and I really think it's around even money that you'll escape with half the pot.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:38 PM

Funny story... I was looking at this hand thinking... "man, why's this idiot raising 3rd" [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2005, 11:49 PM

I don't see any particular reason to fold 6th if you're calling 5th. If he has a straight, he had it on 5th.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:52 AM

Notorious:The difference. On 5th, you still have some small chance to scoop. After the 8 comes on 6th,that chance is negligible. Still, I would not have raised on 3rd & would have folded on 5th. I like to play the big pairs more wimpishly(what a word)than most people.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Having made it to sixth street, I would call this one down. I do think that if you're going to fold sixth, you shouldn't call on fifth.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what I thought, his board isnt that scary...
Old 11-02-2005, 06:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Notorious:The difference. On 5th, you still have some small chance to scoop. After the 8 comes on 6th,that chance is negligible. Still, I would not have raised on 3rd & would have folded on 5th. I like to play the big pairs more wimpishly(what a word)than most people.

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, but there's only a smallish difference between our equity against a pair with low draw, and our equity against a made low. It's around a five percent difference or so.