Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2005, 11:11 PM

Default Why I love playing poker

I was reading some posts over at www.allvegaspoker.com and came across this trip report. Thought you all would like it:

"I am not a good poker player. I play too much in home games with the same players, so I don’t really learn to judge my competition. I am still too loose and I don’t lay down soon enough. I am shy about aggressive raises to push players out even after I have earned some table respect for tossing away garbage, hand after hand after hand. I can’t do the math of pot odds or count my “outs” accurately. I have not memorized what the odds of making certain hands are. But I’m getting better. Maybe those refinements will come. In the meantime, I can best control my winning by picking games with poor players."

I can't wait to get back to vegas to play against guys like this [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-05-2005, 01:48 AM

Default Re: Why I love playing poker

The guy who wrote that is smarter than 90% of all low-limit poker players.

At least he knows what he doesn't know.

I bet if he puts some effort into it, he can become a decent player--unlike all the people who don't realize that they should count their outs, or play fewer hands.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:03 AM

I think he is smarter than that.

You don't need to count outs, or calculate pot odds, or any of that -- As long as you play with people even worse than yourself!

Game Selection Is Everything.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

[/ QUOTE ]

To an extent. I play with people all the time who know they are fish and not embarrassed at all. They love playing poker and get a kick out of whooping someone with 63o. We should keep in mind, as 2+2ers, that not everyone plays for profit.

Sounds silly, but it is true. Just make sure you're friendly towards them when they bust your aces with junk. Keep the "atmospheric pressure" at a level they can tolerate. They pay for entertainment, we take that payment in the long run.

Not everyone wants/needs to improve like we do. Treat your customers with respect and they will continue to patronize our tables.

Onaflag...........
Old 09-05-2005, 01:05 PM

A remarkably sensible and wise attitude/reply.