Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2005, 11:53 PM

Default Blind steal

10 handed Party 20/40.

I open in the CO with Kc 4s, a LAGish SB (75/25/2) 3-bets from the SB and we take the flop HU for 7 SBs.

Flop is Ks Qc 5h. He bets and I call.

Turn is the 8s. He bets and I call.

River is the 5c. He bets and I raise. Huh?
Old 08-07-2005, 12:00 AM

Default Re: Blind steal

That's how I'd play it. On that flop I'd think I was WA/WB. I like the river raise, b/c he'll probably call worse hands, and hands like KJ, KT you are now chopping. Do you fold to a river 3-bet?
Old 08-07-2005, 12:02 AM

I would fold PF, especially with such a loose SB, whatever though.

I like the river raise, if he plays postflop the way his PF stats indicate he'll likely call w/ ace high or a worse pair. I'm torn about whether or not to call a 3 bet, but I know I would. I'd like to hear your opinion on that.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:02 AM

against a aggro lag, u should find a raise somewhere. the river is probably the best place to try it. pay off a 3 bet?
Old 08-07-2005, 12:03 AM

I'll take shot at this one.

I assume you had planned on calling all the way down since this guy is a LAG and top pair could easily be best. But you don't want to run the risk of getting 3-bet which leaves you uncertain as to where you are. So this is sort of a WA/WB situation.

When the river pairs, you catch up with a bunch of the hands that previously had you WB. And against a LAG, you should have the best hand (or tied) plenty enough to raise for value.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:14 AM

I raise the turn here. I know he's calling down at worst, and at best he plays back at me with some random mid pair bullshit.

Getting 3bet on the river would suck
Old 08-07-2005, 12:21 AM

Like everything post flop...love the river pop...I do the same.

Dont like preflop though against an SB like that. Tighten his ass up, make him less aggressive and then its all:

Old 08-09-2005, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I raise the turn here. I know he's calling down at worst, and at best he plays back at me with some random mid pair bullshit.

Getting 3bet on the river would suck

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is getting 3-bet on the turn better than on the river. Seems to me that both scenarios would blow.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:01 PM

Sfer,

Perfect. I love this line. I used it last night, actually, on similar weak K hand (though I think it was a blind battle and I was raising out of the big blind). The 5 is a great card for you. I doubt villain will fold another K all that often, but you are probably "free-rolling" here, and may well get paid off by a Q.

This play has some interesting third-level consequences. By raising the 5, a moderate thinking but not great opponent might thinking you are attempting to "bluff the scare card." (This would be a pretty silly bluff, but your opponent might not quite be at the level to realize it). He likely will conclude the river could not have helped your hand, a call down the raise with a wide range of things, including other Ks (for the chop), but also Qs and hands like TT.