Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2005, 12:48 PM

Default Please settle this argument...

A friend and I were involved in a no-limit hand (3-handed table) where I limped on the button with JTo, SB folded, and BB (friend) raised ~2BB's. I called. Flop was Jxx rainbow and friend continuation bets ~1/2pot, I raise, friend folds. He said "I'm sure I had the best hand preflop" and showed me K5s. I showed him my hand and said "I'd like to debate that." I said that since neither of us was anywhere near all-in, I thought JTo stood a better chance to make money (or lose less) than K5s, based on large stack sizes and good play. Does anyone have any input on this topic? Specifically, if anyone has a large hand history comparison of JTo and K5s, it could shed some light on this for me. Our conversation wasn't based on his hand vs mine specifically, or vs. preflop raise specifically, just which hand you would rather see pre-flop over your career. Thanks.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Please settle this argument...

At a three handed table id probably take K5s. JTo is a hand that is meant to be played in a multiway pot in larger games(more players).
Old 10-30-2005, 12:58 PM

I'll take whichever hand is on the button.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:00 PM

K5s is definately stronger. High card strength skyrockets in value as the table gets shorter, and being suited is generally worth more than being connected.

As to which is easier to play: both are equally hard. Playing JTo for top pair value will run into the same problems that K5s has, namely a weak kicker. You'll be losing the same amount he has when you are either forced to fold a pair of jacks or call down with a dominated hand (same for him with a weak pair of kings). However, a pair of kings is going to win a good portion more of the pot than a pair of jacks. If you hit top pair then he has a redraw to a better pair. If he hits top pair then you need running cards to save you.

Furthermore, you have to worry about 3 overcards, while he only has to worry about 1.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:06 PM

Depends on the number of people at the table. 3 handed K5 is stronger, 5 handed or more you want the J10.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:13 PM

Default the numbers

Preflop:
equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 56.6119 % 56.27% 00.34% { K5s }
Hand 2: 43.3881 % 43.04% 00.34% { JTo }

a J-Flop:
Board: 2c Jh 3d
Hand 1: 17.9237 % 17.92% 00.00% { K5s }
Hand 2: 82.0763 % 82.08% 00.00% { JTo }

a K-flop:
Board: 2c 3d Kh
Dead:
Hand 1: 95.4209 % 95.42% 00.00% { K5s }
Hand 2: 04.5791 % 04.58% 00.00% { JTo }

K5s is a better hand.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BB (friend) raised ~2BB's.

[/ QUOTE ]

for 2 more BB's i would play almost any hand on the button with a good read.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:07 AM

As I mentioned in the original post, I'm not interested in this specific hand (short handed, button or blind, K5s vs JTo). I merely explained why we both ended up in a flop after a raise with such holdings. What our argument is about is which hand is better, period. Put another way, if you could be dealt either hand for the rest of your life, every hand (and everyone forgot this pattern), which hand would serve as most profitable over the long term across all table situations?
Old 10-31-2005, 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll take whichever hand is on the button.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-31-2005, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...which hand would serve as most profitable over the long term across all table situations?

[/ QUOTE ]

When you say "all table situations" you're implying that there's some reasonable distribution of table situations that we can all appeal to. But that just isn't true. People have already answered your question by pointing out that if you play short-handed for the rest of your life you want K5s and if you play full ring you want JTo. You tell me what distribution of short- vs. long-handed situations is reasonable and then your question might become answerable.