Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2004, 11:00 PM

Default Dealing with really weak players early in a MTT.

I think we've all been in this situation many times over. You are seated at a table right next to a very loose/passive calling station on your left. You witness this player call off half his stack in the first 2 levels. This player is pretty loose pre flop. (calling re-raises) Post flop very passive. Checking and calling practically every other hand down to the river, mucking the hand and not winning a showdown. So how do you handle this player when you find A9o (I know it's not great) in the BB when the limping calling station has once again limped UTG and it's folded all the way around to you.

Level IV: 75/150 Blinds (25 Minimum Chip)
Remaining Players: 108 (141 started)
Seat 1 : starts with 8,350
Seat 2 : starts with 13,225
Seat 3 : starts with 9,375
Seat 4 : starts with 7,875
Seat 5 : starts with 17,475
Seat 6 : starts with 8,975
Seat 7 : starts with 7,500
Seat 8 : jrock901 starts with 9,375
Seat 9 : villian starts with 25,600
Seat 10: starts with 7,200
Seat 6 : has the dealer button

>>>DEALING HOLE CARDS<<<
jrock901 dealt down A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
seat 7 posts the small blind 75
jrock901 posts the big blind 150
villain calls 150
seat 10 folds
seat 1 folds
seat 2 folds
seat 3 folds
seat 4 folds
seat 5 folds
seat 6 folds
seat 7 folds
jrock901 raises 375 to 525
villian calls 375

Flop:

Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

jrock901 bets 1,125
villian calls 1,125

Turn:

4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

What do you do?
Old 12-09-2004, 12:01 AM

Default Re: Dealing with really weak players early in a MTT.

Loose passive players are great to make money off of because they call when they shouldn't. You've got 2 pairs and your kicker no longer matters. You've got to figure that many loose passive players would preflop raise with AQ or AK.
I'd be a little concerned that the villain has a 4 in his hand and just made a set or a boat or that he just picked up a flush draw.

I'd probably check the turn and value bet the river like 2k unless a spade drops.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:20 AM

Why raise this weak hand pf out of position? There is really no need to get money in the pot pre flop against a player this bad when your not sure if you have the best hand. The point is you HAVE to win in a showdown, so you better make the best hand. I would check the BB bet the flop about 400 check the turn and bet the river about 2000 if no spade and less if there is a spade, runner-runner flush is a possibility against this villain but is still not likely. Wait until you have a hand that you know you are good with before risking your stack against a player this bad who is in the best seat at the table for you.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:52 AM

I actually knew I had the best hand pre flop based on the read of this player. This is why I chose to get involved with this hand. Turns out I was right as he limped with
A4o and just hammered me. On the flip side I probably over played the hand, however I guess this question is 2 part. How can you take advantage of such a situation when you want these type of players to pay you off at the same time not going broke.

jrock901 bets 3,375
villian raises 3,375 to 6,750
jrock901 raises 975 to 7,725 and is all-in
villian calls 975
jrock901 cards were A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
villian's cards were A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I suppose I should have been a little less aggressive post flop. That seems to be one area of weakness on my part.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:14 AM

How did he get to be chip leader without winning a hand? I have trouble with these players also. For some reason I get impatient and play exactly like you and the results are about the same. They get lucky and I get knocked out on a hand I know I shouldn't have even been in. I've been trying to play even better hands against them, since you have to beat them when they are not good enough to fold.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:31 PM

How did he get to be chip leader without winning a hand?

2 hands that I can remember:

3 players see the flop. It was raised and re-raised. He calls. Heavy betting on the flop. Third player folds. Money goes in on the turn. He flips Aces, the other guy flips TT and hit a set on the flop. River brings an Ace. Can't blame the guy here. He had a big hand to start any way and it's hard to get away from it.

67 suited. Hits runner runner. Money doesn't go in here. Just pot sized betting called all the way against top pair.

Just comes down to me knowing I have the best hand. Just not knowing how to handle the situation I suppose.