Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2004, 05:38 AM

Default Successful Maniacs...do they exist?

On one trip to the Bellagio in Vegas a few years ago, I encountered a player that really went against the grail as far as all my poker reading has gone. He frequently raised and re-raised hands such as J2o pre-flop. He drank till he was very intoxicated and really managed to get beneath the other players' skin. He put a few of the players at the table on tilt with a few bad beats and his relentless taunting "If I can't beat you guys, I can't beat nobody". I swear the guy was like a Hollywood creation from some cheesy poker flic. Despite his horrible pre-flop play and drinking to the point of constant slur, he lost very little money post flop. Sure he showed rags a few times on river, but it seemed just a clever concoction to keep up his image. Even in his drunken state, he seemed to have an uncanny ability of reading other players. I cashed out the same time he did and the guy seemed quite sober off the table. The guy did quite well that night. Sure he had a good run of cards and could very well be a losing player, but for some reason I doubt it. Since then, I've run accross a few similar players in Hollywood. Perhaps one day, when poker is overrun by college kids with HPFAP in their back pockets...this is the kind of player that will still be making money. What are your thoughts? Are there successful maniacs? If so, do they exist online as well, or is too much dependent on their visual image at the table? I've certainly become interested in taunting as a tool to increase potential earnings, as it must be the only way Charles123 ever makes any money...putting opposition on tilt and such.
Old 01-31-2004, 06:56 AM

Default Re: Successful Maniacs...do they exist?

I suggest you read "An Illusory Winner" by John Feeney. It's an essay inside his book, Inside the Poker Mind. He may have it on the web somewhere...run a few searches.
Old 01-31-2004, 07:35 AM

Default Re: Successful Maniacs...do they exist?

Yes, there are some successfull Maniacs.
When I started playing online I was perceived as a Maniac by most opponents, but the more names and curses they gave me, the more I won.
You can play like a complete Maniac with just a slightly - EV , then make that EV + more back after you have tilted the table.
I would cap the pot with 23o and when I won a monsterpot with it I would milk the table with my image for the rest of the night.

I have seen others do it, but it is very very rare.
Your BB an hour is higher than just playing tight/aggressive, but the variance is also sky high.

Also, Maniacs with the right formula can do well in shorthanded games, even without a poker pattern map.

I did the same thing in Vegas(capped from UTG with 2,9o (the HavanaBanana) flop 229, no wonder the old guard kept sending people over to my table to come play the higher limit table with them lol