Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2005, 10:27 PM

Default Easier to say than do sometimes

There are some very good players on this forum. Alot who are much better than I am.

Some of these same people like to degrade other peoples decisions during a hand and make them feel very stupid in their responses to posted hands.

In the past couple weeks Ive seen 3 different well respected posters make some of the most horrible mistakes I could imagine.

Of course they dont know who I am , but Ive figured out a couple peoples screen names. Im not going to "out" anyone here of course.

Im going to write off their plays as "sometimes its easier to say than do". Sometimes its much easier to analyze a hand when reading it here on the forum than it is in the heat of battle.

Maybe some of these guys should think about that before blasting a guy and saying something like "you should quit poker"

OK, Im off my soapbox now. Back to your regularly scheduled program.

PS...I make some pretty dumb mistakes also sometimes.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:38 PM

Default Re: Easier to say than do sometimes

did i make some of these horrible mistakes? cause i've been known to go on full blown monkey tilt sometimes.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
full blown monkey tilt sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:49 AM

"Some of these same people like to degrade other peoples decisions during a hand and make them feel very stupid in their responses to posted hands."

On the flip side, sometimes it can be very helpful to have someone tell you the truth about how you played a certain hand. If they are spending the time to reply, that may be better than no response at all.

"In the past couple weeks Ive seen 3 different well respected posters make some of the most horrible mistakes I could imagine."

A lot of times making a horrible mistake can pay off later due to your table image.

Old 04-28-2005, 01:00 PM

i had a bad read on a guy/misread my hand and though thtey were suited and i had a flush/and tilted away $2000 last week. woah. that sucked.

and after crap like that i always start to question my abilities, like maybe i should be playing this game and especially never ever for a living... does that happen to people where they make some stupid decisions then lose confidence for a while? is the answer to just take a break?
Old 04-28-2005, 01:31 PM

"i had a bad read on a guy/misread my hand and though thtey were suited and i had a flush/and tilted away $2000 last week. woah. that sucked."

and after crap like that i always start to question my abilities, like maybe i should be playing this game and especially never ever for a living... does that happen to people where they make some stupid decisions then lose confidence for a while? is the answer to just take a break?"

I can't imagine gettting that upset over one bad session. I'm not sure but it sounds like you may be playing too high for your bankroll. Taking a break, or moving down in limit sounds good if you don't feel that you are playing well, and / or lacking confidence. Another option is to work on getting better, which you seem to be doing, consider you are reading and replying on this forum.
Hope it works out for you.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
does that happen to people where they make some stupid decisions then lose confidence for a while?

[/ QUOTE ]

That happened to me, uh, yesterday.

[ QUOTE ]
is the answer to just take a break?

[/ QUOTE ]

Taking a break ALWAYS helps my game.
I usually wind up needing to take a break because I've been playing too much, I get bored with the game, start playing too loose/aggro, making bad decisions, getting pissed off at myself for those decisions, playing more loose/aggro, etc, etc, etc.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are some very good players on this forum. Alot who are much better than I am.

Some of these same people like to degrade other peoples decisions during a hand and make them feel very stupid in their responses to posted hands.

In the past couple weeks Ive seen 3 different well respected posters make some of the most horrible mistakes I could imagine.

Of course they dont know who I am , but Ive figured out a couple peoples screen names. Im not going to "out" anyone here of course.

Im going to write off their plays as "sometimes its easier to say than do". Sometimes its much easier to analyze a hand when reading it here on the forum than it is in the heat of battle.

Maybe some of these guys should think about that before blasting a guy and saying something like "you should quit poker"

OK, Im off my soapbox now. Back to your regularly scheduled program.

PS...I make some pretty dumb mistakes also sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone makes mistakes. Posting here and talking about them, and critiquing other people's play, helps us avoid them in our own play as well.