Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2005, 09:31 AM

Default In the Pink Game

Here in Pittsburgh there's a private 7.50/15 game that I play in every now and then. There's something about the gigantic neon pots that make people crazy, I guess. I hear the real pink game at the Trop is amazing too. My first question is general:

The game is great action and the players who are there are terrible, BUT they rake 5 dollars a pot and the dealers are sllllloooooooooow. The house gives some rake back in the form of a wheel that you spin when you get your aces cracked but this opportunity is few and far between. Would you think its better for me to go there and play the pink or is my time better spent multitabling on Party? I usually play 3-4 tables of 5/10 short or full when I'm at Party.

Next a hand from the pink game:

Game is 7 handed. Hero is in MP2 with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. MP3 is the main Villian. He calls 99% of his hands preflop and gets to the river just as often. He'll bet when checked to 90% of the time, and will raise bluff/check-raise bluff a scare card about 30% of the time. Button is loose/passive pf, and tight/weakish postflop. No read on the SB. BB is a TAG.

Preflop:

1 fold, I raise, Villian calls, 1 fold, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop is K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Checked to me, I bet, Villian calls, everyone else folds.

Turn is the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I bet, Villian raises, I call

River is the T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
I check, Villian bets, I call.

Results in white
<font color="white">Villian shows Ac4c and MHING </font>
Old 05-25-2005, 09:34 AM

Default Re: In the Pink Game

it's always better to multitable party at similar limits. it's not because of the relative game quality. live games are always going to be looser. simply the amount of hands you get in. that doesn't mean you shouldn't go play this game. mixing up live and online fights burnout. get out of the house, be social. it matters.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:26 AM

So why are you betting the turn here I'm wondering?
Old 05-25-2005, 10:29 AM

I didn't realize they had underground type clubs in Pittsburgh. I'm sure you'd have a higher expectation online, especially with that rake. But live play is fun.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So why are you betting the turn here I'm wondering?

[/ QUOTE ]
I kind of thought that this was my biggest mistake here too. So I should check/call the turn, check/call the river here? This is because he's going to raise a hand that's beating me, and also raise on a bluff, and there's no sense in value betting the turn since he's going to bet himself no matter what he has when checked to. Does that logic sound correct?
Old 05-25-2005, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't realize they had underground type clubs in Pittsburgh. I'm sure you'd have a higher expectation online, especially with that rake. But live play is fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pittsburgh's actually pretty thriving with underground games. Just have to know where to look. There's a 10/20, and 10/20 Hold 'em/O8/Omaha button-calls-the-game I attend locally. The 08 is typically 9 to the flop. Its sick. Tons of 5/5 No limit games, and other random limits/tournamets throughout the city. And you're right, live play is fun [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-25-2005, 10:59 AM

If you are 3-4 tabling Party 5/10 SH and winning modestly (1bb/100) you are making around $30/hr. There is no way you'd make that in a pink chip game.