Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2004, 09:46 AM

Default fischman mistake?

im only learning the holdem thing, and have never played a tourney, but watching last night, the guy goes all in for 7k and fischman just calls with his AK? i would think if hes gonna call an over the top bet from brunson, he should have gone allin on his own, or at least put a good sized raise in. what was he hoping, everybody else would fold? or maybe somebody puts in a small raise after him that he can call?
im not ragging on fischman (even though i dont like him very much), just seemed an odd place for just a call.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:21 AM

Default Re: fischman mistake?

If you are referring to the play I think you are, the first guy goes all in w/ small suited connectors, Fischman calls w/ AK and Brunson goes all in w/ KK. At that point Fischman says " I wish I'd done that" meaning moved in himself. You are right it was a mistake, and he knew it right away. He should have tried for a heads up pot. It probably did'nt matter though.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:25 AM

Good luck moving Brunson off pocket kings
Old 08-25-2004, 10:27 AM

Fischman buthered the play 2x here.

1. He should have just raised all in with his AK

2. having just called, when Doyle came over the top - He should have folded. I don't think there are many hands Doyle would have raised with there, knowing one guy was all in and another had already called him, Doyle had to know he was gonna be a huge favorite to push in like he did.

The only way Fischman should have called here is if he was pot committed, but if that was the case, he should have raised all in anyways.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:35 AM

Fischman had to have put him on QQ. Its that simple. Even with that said its still a marginal call im my opinion. He might have KK 25% of the time,AA 25%, QQ 25%, and AK the other 25%(however i think doyle would fold AK here). Anyway Even though fishman knows there are more combinations of QQ than AA or KK he still should have a relatively easy fold. After all he wasn t really comitted that much. It looked to me like he just called planning to fold to an all in and then decided to call anyway it anyway when it happened. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2004, 10:39 AM

Mostsmooth,

Fischman calling the initial all-in with AK is fine. If he raises all-in there the only hands he will get called with are AA, KK, and maybe QQ. In other words he will be in deep trouble with any calling. Calling allows you to get away from AK if anyone comes over the top (unless you have a specific read otherwise). As Cleveland Guy states either push after the initial all-in or call and fold if someone comes over the top.

When Doyle goes all-in and Scott says "I wish I'd done that" it's obvious he immediately puts Doyle on a pocket pair JJ, QQ, or possibly AK.

jujujaja34
Old 08-25-2004, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good luck moving Brunson off pocket kings

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, the idea wasnt to get brunson off kings, but possibly Qs, Js, Ts, etc.
but i do recall doyle saying he was debating whether or not to play that hand
Old 08-25-2004, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mostsmooth,

Fischman calling the initial all-in with AK is fine. If he raises all-in there the only hands he will get called with are AA, KK, and maybe QQ. In other words he will be in deep trouble with any calling. Calling allows you to get away from AK if anyone comes over the top (unless you have a specific read otherwise). As Cleveland Guy states either push after the initial all-in or call and fold if someone comes over the top.

When Doyle goes all-in and Scott says "I wish I'd done that" it's obvious he immediately puts Doyle on a pocket pair JJ, QQ, or possibly AK.

jujujaja34

[/ QUOTE ]
isnt this what i said originally? if hes gonna call the over the top, he should have done it himself? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2004, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(however i think doyle would fold AK here).

[/ QUOTE ]

Why on earth would you think that?
Old 08-25-2004, 04:43 PM

I don't see Doyle folding with AK here either.