Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 02:38 PM

Default JJ UTG

I raise UTG and get reraised by a TAG from MP. Do i basically call and play for set value only??? In this hand the flop came T9rag I checked someone else bet and he raised, this is an easy fold right? And if it were heads up would i have to call down w/ JJ in this situation or should i just lay it down assuming he has QQ-AA more likely then not.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:46 PM

Default Re: JJ UTG

weak.

tight.

when you get 3-bet by a tag you should seriously consider capping. you don't, fine. but that flop is perfect. lead it.

when you get reraised preflop and you hold JJ you should absolutely not start assuming there's a QQ-AA out there without some sort of player-specific read.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:48 PM

Being 3 bet by a TAG doesn't mean definitively that he has a higher PP than JJ. What's your table image? Have you been a loose raiser?
I 3 bet a lot of times with TT-99, AK, and sometimes AQ depending on reads. I would call if the pot is heads up, and cap if you get a couple cold callers. If it's heads up on the flop with 3 low cards I would go for a check raise and see what develops.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:48 PM

No, no way.

Cap that cheese and if the flop comes T9 rag why check it? THat's horribly weak. I lead a beautiful flop like that every time. If I've got an overpair and the pot is big I'm taking the initiative.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:50 PM

I dont think you should assume QQ-AA. I play a TAG style and I 3-bet with anything from AJs-AKs. I also raise the flop if someone bets into me hoping for a free card on the turn. This is all dependant though. If I was the TAG in your example, it depends on how the donk better plays, what is his stats etc.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:56 PM

There are least 9 bets in this pot before the flop. Even if your plan was just to call down, you would have to win about 25% of the time to break even. If you assume that MP will only reraise w/ AA-QQ and AK, then you are ahead about 40% of the time and actually have about 42% equity due to your BDSD. Folding is by far the worst of your 3 options here.

Also, MPs raise doesn't help define his hand at all. See Hammer's thread today about raising overcards in a situation like this (specifically to knock you out).

I would have checked this flop, planning to c/r. As it is, I still think a 3-bet is in order. If it gets capped behind you, then you can lay it down if you don't improve on the turn.