Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 04:00 AM

Default Hurricane Camille and New Orleans

So if it was "technically" stronger, WTF? shouldnt something like this have happened in the 1960's? why didnt it ( i really dont know and am too lazy to look it up )?
Old 09-02-2005, 10:12 AM

Default Re: Hurricane Camille and New Orleans

Camille hit shore well east of N.O.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:47 AM

It is because of the levee system. The levee system is actually the cause of the problem as I understand it. New Orleans has lost most of the coastal wetlands that had protected it from flooding due to the levees. I'm sure Ed Miller can expain it better than I.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:20 PM

The levees asploded this time around. In 1969 they held on better.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:33 PM

i beleive they hit in pretty similar spots. camille may have been 10 or 15 miles east. katrinas winds covered a larger area even though it was not quite as strong. i dont really know anything about the levee systems but i dont beleive there was even much wind damage from camille in new orleans.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is because of the levee system. The levee system is actually the cause of the problem as I understand it. New Orleans has lost most of the coastal wetlands that had protected it from flooding due to the levees. I'm sure Ed Miller can expain it better than I.

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot that they also logged many of the Cypress trees that prevented errosion.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot that they also logged every last !@#$ing full-grown Cypress tree in an approximately ten thousand square mile area that prevented errosion.

[/ QUOTE ]

The logging of cypress trees in the Nineteenth Century is absoultely unfathomable. They took every last tree higher than a certain height. Cypress trees are in same family as the Sequoias and can grow to near the size of their cousins in California. You'll see no such trees in Louisiana today, though, because they were, every last one of them, logged.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:59 AM

PBS had a show on this tonight. They replayed a report they did 3 years ago about the wetlands and the threat to New Orleans. In addition to the levees oil exploration also contributed to the shrinking of the wetlands.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:13 AM

We're playing with mother nature here. It's all been accumatlating for the last couple decades. We are continously warned by environmentalist and scientists and we too often shrug of their comments as becing too radical. Often enough we'll say to ourselves that it won't effect us in our lifetime. We usually don't see the results of our actions right away but this is a perfect example of what can happen when we are ignorant to our behaviours. All the pollution, erosion, garbage, radiation etc... has to eventually take it's toll on mother earth. There's only so much that you can push before things start to push back. I'll be the first to admit that i'm not exactly the ideal conservationalist. It's only a matter of time when our behaviours catch up to us... it's karma...

-Stroker
Old 09-06-2005, 10:02 AM

It's hard to say whether Katrina was fueled or boosted by golbal warming, since there were strong hurricanes before it started. However, it certainly is right to say that stronger storms will come as a result.

In other words, I don't believe in "LOOK AT WHAT GLOBAL WARMING HAS DONE!!!!!111" I believe in, "Jeez, if you though that was a doozy, imagine how bad it'll get if we don't try harder at curbing global warming." I think that last one was the one you were getting at.