Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2005, 06:27 PM

Default WHAT IS UP WITH THE DONK BETTING?

I swear to God it's everywhere...
Old 08-22-2005, 06:28 PM

Default Re: WHAT IS UP WITH THE DONK BETTING?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed and I call down too much to the donks [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-22-2005, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is getting rediculous. The part I like least is if becomes much more widespread, preflop theory is going to have to be seriously altered. A chunk of a preflop raises value comes from getting checked to on the flop and having options. Donk bets reduce that value and may eventually cause some hands to be reevaluated.

Krishan
Old 08-22-2005, 06:41 PM

i 2nd that sentiment, especially in the higher limits the donkbetting is notoriously persistent.

krish may be right, if its becomes more widespread then some things will have to change.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:43 PM

This is a joke, right? I loooooove to Donk if I hit the flop and it makes everyone squirm...
Old 08-22-2005, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i 2nd that sentiment, especially in the higher limits the donkbetting is notoriously persistent.

krish may be right, if its becomes more widespread then some things will have to change.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does it change things? It can make it harder to play post-flop, but other than opponent specific decisions (like upping your blind stealing standards, for example), what do you see changing pre-flop?

Nigel
Old 08-22-2005, 06:59 PM

A reasonably consistent donker, one who mixes it up between strong hands and air, is very difficult to play well against. Especially the guys who will frequently C/C the flop and donk the turn from EP. I consider getting a read on a consistent donker's donk proclivities (what he does it with, how often, on what sorts of boards) one of the more valuable reads I can acquire against a mostly unknown.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:42 PM

That's what I mean...it really is a part of a balanced strategy. I love the "check to the raiser" ethic in some games. Nothing easier then playing against drones. Donk bets, balanced between the goods and bluffs/semi-bluffs are great tools.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:02 PM

I don't know if I agree about the preflop theory. Although I have options when checked to, I always choose the same one when I am against two opponents or less. A player who will donkbet only with a pair or a draw lets us out cheaply with our two overcard and nothing hands. A checkraiser always collects at least one small bet. I think it is the postflop strategy which must be altered to fleece the habitual donkbettor. Against such an opponent who seems to donkbet EVERY flop whether he has a piece or not, we should just sit back and call, letting him continue to bet if he so chooses. I call all the way and raise the river a ton against an opponent like this with my real hands. I often just call all the way down with a good Ace high. It is amazing how often you will get shown an absolutely zero hand that would have folded if at any point you would have raised. Embrace the donk bettors! Against them you truly do have options.

Cartman
Old 08-22-2005, 08:29 PM

Some situations and some hands strive on a cheap showdown in order to take the pot down. With these donkbets it becomes more expensive and reduces the showdown period frequency. So now one would wonder if raising these hands has any merit if we are forced to give up when donked every time.