Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 09:55 AM

Default Pot odds, implied odds, and outs

I read 2+2 a lot, but this is my first time posting. Anyhow, some analysis on this hand would be appreciated.

This is a hand that I am not entirely sure I had pot odds (or implied odds) to call in the first place. Maybe I should have folded, or perhaps semi bluffed.

If you believe I correctly folded on the turn, then would you have stayed in if villian's bet were smaller? If so, how small of a bet would you have stayed in for?

This is a 5-handed on a 6-person max table.

Of the 77 hands I observed, the villian saw the flop 34% of the time, and preflop raised 12% of the time. She won 51% of her showdowns, and I unfortunately do not have her aggr. factor as Poker Office displays this only in live tracker mode (stupid thing; maybe I'll switch back to Poker Tracker). Anyhow, here is the hand:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

UTG ($612.62)
Hero ($496.88)
Button :#A500AF(Villian)/ ($394)
SB ($463.20)
BB ($272.10)

Preflop: Hero is MP with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $12</font>, Button :#A500AF(Villian)/ calls $12, SB (poster) calls $10, BB calls $8.

Flop: ($48) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villian bets $35</font>, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls $35.

Turn: ($118) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villian bets $90</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $208

No showdown. Villian wins $208. </font>

Here are questions I have about this hand:

What should I have done to play this hand better? Should I have folded the flop bet, or did I have implied odds to continue with this hand? What amount of a bet from the villian would still justify a call (or raise) from me on the turn? How does the one suited flop affect my decisions?

One of my problems was was counting my outs since I was having difficulty putting the villian on a hand. What hands can I put the villian on?
Old 11-17-2005, 10:19 AM

Default Re: Pot odds, implied odds, and outs

Never played a hand like this but, I would most likely bet this flop in the first place, then if played back I might try to be careful with my chips unless I have a "special" read or something. Drawing to the flush is probably reversed implied odds as you'll not get paid off by lower flushes except maybe Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] , other then that you might get some small $$ with your straight if you hit but I doubt people are willing to put that much money in here without flush or better, possibly with a set also I guess.

As played I most likely fold this turn, I'm not sure though