Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 11:11 PM

Default AQ straight

6 hands on Villain...seems tight. PFR is a tool...50/31/1.8 i've generally been reraising him with my better hands, but didn't this time...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter

BB ($357)
UTG ($335.70)
UTG+1 ($489.92)
UTG+2 ($219.60)
MP1 ($408.70)
MP2 ($400)
Hero ($575.40)
CO ($392)
Button ($777.70)
SB ($396)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to $12</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls $12, CO calls $12, SB (poster) calls $10, BB calls $8.

Flop: ($60) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

Turn: ($60) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $25</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $75</font>, CO folds, SB calls $50.

River: ($210) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $120</font>, Hero ???
Old 08-02-2005, 11:19 PM

Default Re: AQ straight

first of all, i'd raise the turn more. this river is very strange. his play in this hand looks like KJ. i feel like your hand is completely transparent; he wants a call here. i fold.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
first of all, i'd raise the turn more. this river is very strange. his play in this hand looks like KJ. i feel like your hand is completely transparent; he wants a call here. i fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're right that i probably should have raised more. i still gave improper odds to the flush draw and definitely to a 4-outer like KJ, but i didn't get enough value.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:43 PM

well i'm about to give some captain obvious advice that you undoubtedly already know. but im gonna give it anyways: so if you raise a larger amount on the turn, you charge him extra for a hand like KJ, K10, a set, Q9, etc., which we like. thus, on the river the pot will be bigger and assuming a non-scare card comes, you can value bet for a larger amount. in conclusion you make more (as you already knew).
Old 08-02-2005, 11:47 PM

raise more on the turn, the 2pairs youre beating will pay you off

call the river
Old 08-02-2005, 11:59 PM

IMO, your turn raise isn't bad-bad terrible. I kind of want him to call me here. $75-$100 should be about the right range that doesn't give odds if he is drawing. I suppose you have to get what you can on the turn, because you may not be getting anything more on the river from villian. $75 = OK. $100 = a little better. The river sux, flip a coin and call or fold. Probably -EV to call though.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:12 AM

hero should raise more here, but not because of draws
Old 08-03-2005, 12:13 AM

Call. He has trips often enough to make it profitable.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:15 AM

Why would SB have K J? If he flopped top pair and its a 60 dollar pot already, wouldn't he want to take it down with a bet? At least get something out there and see what ppl are drawing too? Also when he turns his 2 pair he would clearly bet higher than 25 into a 60 dollar pot. There are 2 hearts out there and many straight possibilities. At this point i'm thinking he has something like KQ giving him the open ender and top pair. When the river falls and he bets out 120 it's tough. If you know him and read him to be a smart player that gets money in when he has the best of it you fold b/c he has K 10, not K J. DEFINITELY not K J.
If you know him to be a little fishy he's blowin his nuts over his trip K's w/ kicker.

But yeah all in all i think u fold. He could have even flopped trips and slow played them from first position post flop. too many hands beat ya. Good bet on turn maybe 100 would be better but still good bet. Crappy river.

Personally I think he has K 10 [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2005, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would SB have K J? If he flopped top pair and its a 60 dollar pot already, wouldn't he want to take it down with a bet? At least get something out there and see what ppl are drawing too? Also when he turns his 2 pair he would clearly bet higher than 25 into a 60 dollar pot. There are 2 hearts out there and many straight possibilities. At this point i'm thinking he has something like KQ giving him the open ender and top pair. When the river falls and he bets out 120 it's tough. If you know him and read him to be a smart player that gets money in when he has the best of it you fold b/c he has K 10, not K J. DEFINITELY not K J.
If you know him to be a little fishy he's blowin his nuts over his trip K's w/ kicker.

But yeah all in all i think u fold. He could have even flopped trips and slow played them from first position post flop. too many hands beat ya. Good bet on turn maybe 100 would be better but still good bet. Crappy river.

Personally I think he has K 10 [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

i was just guessing at a full house. i don't understand what difference it makes if he has K10 or KJ. what exactly were you refuting?