Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2005, 07:36 PM

Default I Like Tight Games...

Does anyone else, not really mind tight games? I personally actually don't mind/almost like tight games. And even to add to that, semi-passive postflop games.

I just feel I can value bet, read their cards better, and beat these games fine.

Of course loose/aggressive games make for some big games and large swings.

I'm not totally sure where I was going with this post. Just food for thought I guess.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:40 PM

Default Re: I Like Tight Games...

I dont mind the tighter no limit games on stars that much because I can usually take decent control of the table with my laggier style. I like the looser tables a lot better though.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:49 PM

Only thing I'd like to add is I don't think you've really played in any 'tight' games. At least tight games where the players play resonable enough. Always the tight-passive games and those lead to easy decisions. I really haven't either though... Except of course 2+2 games...but those don't really count. 25% vpip games are 'tight' for online poker, but aren't really 'tight games'.

I dunno, I knwo what you're saying and I know why you're saying it...it goes back to what you said to me a few days ago, you like having big edges and knowing where you're at. It's a comfort thing. You like being comfotable when you're playing and that 55vp 17pfr 1.2 aggro guy is always popping you and it makes for some uncomfortable situations.

I think most good tight games you're going to have a 17/11/2 guy popping you and that's going to be even more tough because he can think on many more levels than the 55/17/1.2...just sayin as it gets more tight and tougher I think you'd like it less.

Maybe I'm way off base and all i said had nothing to do with what you were saying...
Old 02-20-2005, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I just feel I can value bet, read their cards better, and beat these games fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you can beat those games fine. We talked about how 3/6 can be beat pretty well, but you really can't kill the [censored] out of it cause there isn't enough 'crazy' play. More money can be made in the crazier games. You know this though. It depends if you want "beat it fine" and are happy or want "kick the [censored] out of it". I'll take the latter.

I'm not totally sure where I was going with this post. Just food for thought I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-20-2005, 08:10 PM

Then you should enjoy the Crypto 1/2 limit tables at night. I tried sitting at a few of those tables, and the average table VP$IP across 3 tables was <20%. They weren't very passive post-flop either.

Trying to take their money was like pulling wisdom teeth.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:22 PM

Default Re: Scheduling poker w/ other commitments - effects on profitability

Which do you think are more profitable:

1. Looser games where one steals and semi-bluffs less, waits for reasonable and good hands, and gets action on them. eg weekends.

2. Tighter, more sensible games, where one does not get paid off quite so well on the legit hands, but where one should make more steal attempts and more post-flop semi-bluffs? eg Monday, Tuesday nights. Weekday afternoons.

Any thoughts on the difference in profitability between the two situations? Its generally considered that the max for most limits is around 3/100. Would you say, for example, that that is made up of, say, 4/100 being achievable Thursday to Saturday and 2/100 being achieveable other times and they average out? Or would you say they are of similar profitability, just requiring appropriate adjustment to the different textures?

Sometimes, from talk around here, one could be led to believe that its just not worth playing at certain times. Sub-consciously I feel I get influenced by that kind of talk and manage my time such that I do other things early and play more later in the week, taking the attitude that an hour of playing time is worth more then. But that then starts have negative effects on my weekend sociability, to the point it gets commented on. And after all, one of the perks of playing poker for a living is meant to be the flexability of one's work hours.

Im starting to ramble, but does anyone have any comments?
Old 02-20-2005, 09:38 PM

Default Re: Scheduling poker w/ other commitments - effects on profitability

I play all hours all days of the week.

I agree, Fri night, Sat Night are the best hands down. During the week mon-thur from like 10 AM - 3 PM the games aren't as good.

I agree, I think you need to chance how you handle this game. Playing different cards with more suited connected and low pocket pairs when they are loose and lots of multiway pots.

I don't think there is anytime during any day that it gets so bad that a good to great player can't make enough to make it worth while to play.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
25% vpip games are 'tight' for online poker, but aren't really 'tight games'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing in any game at 20 VPIP or lower online is just retarded.

25-20% is a tight game online, which is what I'm talking about here.

[ QUOTE ]
You like being comfotable when you're playing and that 55vp 17pfr 1.2 aggro guy is always popping you and it makes for some uncomfortable situations.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think most good tight games you're going to have a 17/11/2 guy popping you and that's going to be even more tough because he can think on many more levels than the 55/17/1.2...just sayin as it gets more tight and tougher I think you'd like it less.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't get a 55/17/1.2 in a 25-20% VPIP game unless he's the one in the pot every time. Which I don't consider this a tight game and not really topic related.

I'm talking about games where everyone is in the range of 12-22% VPIP.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, you can beat those games fine. We talked about how 3/6 can be beat pretty well, but you really can't kill the [censored] out of it cause there isn't enough 'crazy' play. More money can be made in the crazier games. You know this though. It depends if you want "beat it fine" and are happy or want "kick the [censored] out of it". I'll take the latter.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This last part I think triggered what I was getting at. Since I don't play more than 1-2 hrs on avg a day, I don't have time to play against tons of loose/aggressive retards and stay till I am in the profit.

If you put a loose/aggressive retard against a solid player, give them enough hands, the solid player will win, but, if they are given a short span, there is a good enough chance that the loose/aggressive may get lucky.

I guess, for my poker liking, which is 1-2 hrs a day, I don't mind tighter tables than loose/aggressive ones, cause I know I won't be there in 4 hours to have them hand it back to me if I don't hit them fast.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You don't get a 55/17/1.2 in a 25-20% VPIP game unless he's the one in the pot every time. Which I don't consider this a tight game and not really topic related.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was exactly what i'm saying. I'm just saying it's harder to be popped by a solid player than a retard, which is going to be popping you in the tight game.

I think you like playing with tight bad players. Tight bad players are easy to play against. Tight good players on the other hand, are not. There is a huge difference and you often can't tell by looking at their stats.