Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2004, 05:08 PM

Default Party $200 NL AJs

This hand is about a month old. My opponent was aggressive, especially with position, but I hadn't seen him put his chips in too many times with the worst of it. If I remember right, I had a pretty LAGgy table image going at the time.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (9 handed)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP3 ($203.50)
CO ($167.90)
<font color="C00000">Button ($1237.10)</font>
<font color="C00000">Hero ($799.80)</font>
BB ($200)
UTG ($102.60)
UTG+1 ($214.75)
MP1 ($280.50)
MP2 ($194.80)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls $4, <font color="666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises to $14</font>, Hero calls $12, BB calls $10, UTG calls $10.

Flop: ($56) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets $30</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $70</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">Button raises to $110</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $785.8 (All-In)</font>
Old 08-08-2004, 06:22 PM

Default Re: Party $200 NL AJs

I dont like the call preflop, AJ isn't playable for a raise anywhere, especially in the SB.

I wouldn't reraise all in on the flop either, since you're basically a coin flip to an overpair, and a 2 to 1 dog to a set.
Old 08-08-2004, 06:26 PM

Your opponent very likely has an overpair. If its KK or QQ you're likely (depending on the suit) ahead. AA is worse but not too much. JJ is awful but very unlikely.

You check raise the flop and are re-raised. This is the point where you either move in or fold. I like your play.

Only my opinion,

Zephyr
Old 08-08-2004, 10:04 PM

Have you looked at the stack sizes, the call is fine assuming Nate can play the hand after the flop, which he can. You should check out some posts by a poster named Limon, he had a thread a while back talking about calling preflop with big stacks with hands that draw to the nuts in the hopes of breaking people...seems like this was what Nate was trying to do.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:53 PM

the only thing I like about how this hand was played is the final all-in bet....pre-flop, I don't like the call because yeah, the stacks are deep and there's nothing wrong with playing AJs as a drawing hand, but do it in position, not from the SB....on the flop, button bets 30 into a pot of 60, why would you checkraise?....if he smoothe calls your raise, now you have to act first after seeing only one card.....I would've flat called his 30 there in a heartbeat....the only time I'd ever checkraise in that situation is if the raise puts me all-in (which doesn't apply here because of the big stack sizes)....but the button raised back and now you raise huge all-in, which is okay if the button would call off the rest of his stack with an overpair (you're a favorite to KK or QQ)....if he folds you take the pot down, if he's got a set you're in some trouble.....
Old 08-08-2004, 11:05 PM

I don't like AJs for a raise out of position. if the limpers are all loose then I guess it can be ok.

in order for the semibluff play to work out you have to convince your opponent you might not be drawing. I think you are actually a tad too deep to make this play convincingly on the flop. it really depends on the player, but I think most good players are going to realize that your bet:
a) doesn't really want a call
b) wants to see both cards

it could be a good play, it just depends on your opponent. against a weak tight player it's ok, but against a bad player or a really good player I think you're going to get called and be behind.

--turnipmonster
Old 08-08-2004, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like AJs for a raise out of position. if the limpers are all loose then I guess it can be ok.

in order for the semibluff play to work out you have to convince your opponent you might not be drawing. I think you are actually a tad too deep to make this play convincingly on the flop. it really depends on the player, but I think most good players are going to realize that your bet:
a) doesn't really want a call
b) wants to see both cards

it could be a good play, it just depends on your opponent. against a weak tight player it's ok, but against a bad player or a really good player I think you're going to get called and be behind.

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, ignoring the preflop for a sec, here's the thing.

Against a player who *could see my cards*, the all-in bet is bad, but not disasterous. I'll get called by coin flip overpairs, and sets ... that probably leaves me with roughly a 40% chance to win when called - not fantastic, but not too far from the percentage I'd require to make this play +EV.

But do you think I'll *never* get called by another AJo that I have a freeroll against? By KJo? By K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]? If he's capable of calling with those hands then by bet is substantially +EV. Or that an opponent will never make an incorrect fold (less likely given my table image, but his stack is deep)?
Old 08-09-2004, 12:01 AM

not really sure what to say nate. if you ever find a game where AJo or KQs will CALL allin on that board, let me know, ok [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ? in short, I can't imagine anyone calling an overbet like that with those hands.

the main thing you are getting out of raising (as you know) is folding equity, which is why I like your play against a weak tight player. against a player who will correctly read you for a drawing hand or a player who will get stubborn with AA-KK, I like your move less.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
not really sure what to say nate. if you ever find a game where AJo or KQs will CALL allin on that board, let me know, ok [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ? in short, I can't imagine anyone calling an overbet like that with those hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, the tone of my post was -not- meant to sound confrontational. I've not had a lot of success adopting my limit "skills" to NL and I suspect hands like this might be why ... I'm living in a dream world if I expect hands like KJo to call with a deep stack or hands like KK to fold.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:37 AM

Default Results

My opponent had T8o for the pat, flopped straight. I got no help on the turn or river and he won a big pot.