Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2003, 03:23 PM

Default Full house

$50 buy-in game on Paradise. The table is lovely, a lot of limping, preflop, very little raising. 4-5 are seeing the flop on a regular basis.

You are holding 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in 3rd position and limp.

Almost everyone limps behind you, SB completes - 7 see the flop of:

K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

2 people check to you, you check, it gets checked around.

Turn: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Checked to you, you check, checked around again.

River: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB immediately bets $4 into the $3 pot.

folded to you. Action?
Old 08-25-2003, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Full house

Hey Spencer,

In my experience, most online players slowplay far too many hands. Most players (incorrectly) will not bet a king on that flop. So, I would bet out and hope to get called by a king (or two), and possibly flush draws. Now, there is money in the pot so that you can escalate your bet and make some money with your hand. But, your check on the flop isn't the end of the world.

I hate the check on the turn (unless it was a failed check-raise, although I prefer to bet here). You will get action from a flush, a high spade, or a king, but all of these hands will not necessarily bet themselves. And again, it is very important to get money into the pot on the turn so that you can make a larger bet on the river.

On the river, I would raise about the size of the pot, probably to $12, and reraise all-in if anyone reraises. Hope it worked out...

ML4L
Old 08-25-2003, 05:41 PM

Well I decided to raise his $4 bet to $8. He thought for a second or two and then moved in. I had him barely covered and called (almost automatically).

He turned over a K 8 for the nuts. I'm an idiot for calling his all in, should of realized only the biggest maniac would move in with a flush.

I could of realistically put him on pocket 6s or 8s and made it an easy fold for myself. Oh well.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:30 PM

I would have made a very large bet on the flop something like 2x the pot because the only hand beating you is K2 and KK both of these hands are very unlikely but you don't want the board to pair up or have him catch his other hole card. Then went all in on the turn. If he calls you on the turn and catches the nuts on the river then just chalk it up to ev+ and reload. You have to rember that when you flop a full house with 22 you have to be very aggressive because you are holding a very vuernable hand.

silly
Old 08-26-2003, 01:25 PM

Location: USS George washington, Virgina, 7 months until Los Angeles

You didn't let me know how much money the bettor and you have but lets suppose it's 50 bucks cause of the buy in. I would raise his 4 bucks into that 3 dollar pot 30 more. secondly, I would just like to add that I do not like the way you played this hand at all with all that check hiding, your hand is still vulnerable and on party any flush draw will be calling you, not to mention a king pumping up the pot.

-chessforlife
Old 08-26-2003, 01:47 PM

Calling the all in bet wasn't so bad. (depends on the opponent) Not betting earlier was what was really bad.

BTW K8 wasn't the nuts.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:11 PM

BTW K8 wasn't the nuts.

Huh? How could it lose?

Guy.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:12 PM

Location: USS George washington, Virgina, 7 months until Los Angeles

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Im going to have to agree with guy here, If I was holding K 8 I'm not scared of anything but an earthquake or my computer shutting off!!

That's NUTS! Someone could draw.

Old 08-27-2003, 02:50 PM

Your mistake happened long before the river. You should have been able to get him all-in on the flop or turn while you were a big favorite. The fact that he would have beat you on the river doesn't change anything.

I'm not sure what the stack sizes are, but i'm certainly not feeling super happy about the worlds smallest boat at that point if its for a lot, although since there was zero action the entire hand I would feel pretty confident about my hand if I happened to be holding the A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in this hand, which certainly makes me want to call a bet with a hand that can beat it.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:36 PM

I suppose it's semantics. The nuts was KK. The nuts is "the best possible hand", which is KK from the perspective of the poster. That is, the poster was shown the 2nd best possible hand he could have been shown.

From the perspecitive of the player who showed the hand down, he knew he had the best possible hand, so looking at it that way makes sense too.