Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 10:55 AM

Default NL Betting

I just started playing no limit hold'em instead of limit hold'em because of the greater number of skills I can use against my opponents. But my question is this: What factors determine how much I should bet? I am used to playing NL tournaments, but I am not sure how to adjust to ring. When I hit a monster like AA overpair or set or stronger, how much should I bet if I do not need to bet out draws? How much if I do need to bet out draws? It seems to me that I do not know how to capitalize on my big hands. In a tournament, I would just push if there were any draws, but in ring, I think I would only get called by a better hand if I do that.
Edit/Delete Message
Old 06-21-2005, 11:28 AM

Default Re: NL Betting

If you have big cards pre-flop raise 3-4x BB. If you hit top pair or better, bet between half and pot sized bet, depending on how hard you hit and what the flop looks like(ie St8/flush possiblities.)

These are very basic, but should give you an general idea of advisable betting amounts.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:55 PM

other considerations are also what players you are up against.
example. if you get AA in the hole in early position and you know that the table is very loose, then you might want to bring it in for a bit more than 4xbb. like 6-7xbb because you know that you will be called at least by someone. now if the table is too tight, you might just want to limp in and hope that someone will raise so that you can reraise or even just call if it is only just you and him.

Now on the flop again it all depends on the board. If there is alot of draws on the board and you want to protect your hand, you might want to bet the pot, to get everyone out. If you have a really strong hand you might just want to bet 1/2 or even a bit less than the pot to let the other players "catch up" to you. It all depends on what you want to do.
One major concept that you have to understand in NL to be a winner is, make sure that you are always in control of the hand that you want to play in. Don't always follow other people's lead and always call their bets cause you'll get killed.

later
Old 06-21-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One major concept that you have to understand in NL to be a winner is, make sure that you are always in control of the hand that you want to play in. Don't always follow other people's lead and always call their bets cause you'll get killed.

[/ QUOTE ]

This half correct.

A major concept of NL is controlling the pot size and the action. The easiest way to do this is to take the betting lead, as suggested. However, you do not HAVE to be the one betting to control the pot. A skilled player can control the pot by letting his opponent do the betting for him.

In the beginning, you learn that check/calling is bad. As you become more advanced, you learn the power of check/calling.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I hit a monster like AA overpair

[/ QUOTE ]

Ack!!! AA is not a monster! It's just a pair.

Getting married to AA is the easiest way to go broke.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:33 PM

I agree PokerFink with what you are saying but when you start out in NL its always (in my opinion) to lead and actually control what is happening. Less chances of going broke. To understand the power of check/calling, you need skills that come later on, like being able to lable your opponent and know what he would do in certain situations.

let me know what you think.
later
Old 06-21-2005, 04:42 PM

You are correct. There is a reason I said that being able to control the pot by check/calling is an advanced skill. I even said it twice. Playing this way is not for beginners.

A beginning player is much better off betting himself and controlling the pot in that way. Learning to bet properly is step one. Learning how to play your opponent is step two. Learning to let your opponent bet for you is step three.