Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2002, 11:47 AM

Default How not to play a hand

Online NL multi-table tournament. first round 5/10 starting chips 1000.

Third hand of the tournament I get ATs. 3 limpers in front of me. I raise pot. (60) (what I think is a decent stealing hand trying to get a cheap feeler on the table). Folds all around except by UTG and UTG + 2.

Flop Td 8d 3c

check, check and I bet pot. UTG thinks about it a bit. calls, other player folds.

Turn: Rag

UTG checks, I read as a calling station looking for his draw or got a piece of the flop that he doesn't want to let go.

MISTAKE 1: [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] I check too...(pressed the wrong button, arghh!!). I think All in is the right play as I have 640 left and there is 700+ in the pot.

River is a Qh - he bets 400

MISTAKE 2: [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]. Now I am in a guessing game whether he made his straight of pushing an inferior pair aggressively after I showed weakness on the turn. So I don't put him on a J9, AQ is a possibility but KT, QT, JT are also in mind. Of course, my curiousity gets the better of me and I call and I become the callng the station [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

He flips over Q9 - and I get crippled severely. Next hand is 77 and I am gone with two callers on overcards.

Now if I go all in on the turn and he calls, it's a bad beat story instead of being a bad play story. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] NL poker can be so cruel...lol

Gio
Old 10-14-2002, 02:52 PM

Default Re: How not to play a hand

Two limpers? UTG and UTG+2? Raise with ATs?

In a tournament?

You should be NOT trying to get involved, raising $50 never drops everyone in this spot, unless you have a hand. You should limp along with everyone else pre-flop.

MS Sunshine
Old 10-16-2002, 10:06 AM

Default Re: How not to play a hand

I would just limp with ATs after 3 limpers. I don't think a raise is terrible but it is possible that one of those limpers have a better ace or even JJ.

As you said betting the turn seems correct.

The river call is simply a decision based on what you know of this player.

Ken Poklitar