Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2005, 06:44 PM

Default 5 Dollar Tourney

Ok we started with 970, down to 18. I had 50k in chips which put me mid bottom, somewhere in the 13-16th place area. Blinds are 2000-4000

I have 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the BB.

Preflop: Everyone folds to the button who min raises, small blind calls, I call.

Flop: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Small blind checks, I check, button moves all in for 50k, we have the same stack size. Small blind folds, I quickly call.

What do you guys think of the overall play, preflop and on the flop. I think I screwed up somewhere, just not sure where. Ill post results later.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:50 PM

Default Re: 5 Dollar Tourney

What's your read on button? Does a minraise equal strength? I would probably push preflop because when you miss and there are overcards you won't know where you stand and won't have enough chips to find out w/out risking your tournament life on it. If I had called however, I would have called his push.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:50 PM

push pf, look like a nice spot for squeeze. nothing wrong with ur quick call on flop either IMO
Old 10-08-2005, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would probably push preflop because when you miss and there are overcards you won't know where you stand and won't have enough chips to find out w/out risking your tournament life on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont play too many tournaments so I wast sure, just that people kept calling with really weak hands like K/J, A/8, and they were pretty terrible players I figured I could play some poker and outplay them post flop. I have to say though you are probably right, I mean maybe I can run into an under pair or something.

Well general concensus is should have pushed preflop, but if not call on the flop.

Anyway the guy shows me A/9 off suit. Turn is a 3 river is a 5 and he makes the wheel and eliminates me.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:02 AM

Push preflop after the min-raise and call. I don't think it's even remotely close. You almost definitely have the best hand, and if they both fold you add 16K to your stack.

I don't like checking the flop. You like the flop, but any overcards make you nervous. Put out some kind of bet, probably all-in, though I guess you could do something like 20K hoping for someone to push over you.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:04 AM

Pushing pre-flop is fine. Throwing in a nice re-raise to 24-30k isn't a terrible idea (call any push). At these blinds, a minraise could be a steal attempt (other stack sizes would help to figure this out too).

However, given the way you played it, I think that you have to bet the flop here. You have a good hand, almost certainly the best hand currently (I give that about 80%), but your best hand is also a very vulnerable hand. With As or Ks, a case might be made for a slowplay, but Ts have to bet for value unless they trip up. I'd probably throw in a 20k or so bet here. It's a real bet, but it might get someone who's not very good to think you'll fold here and push over you. Of course, you call any push.

Will
Old 10-09-2005, 05:17 AM

I'm just going to throw my name on the list of players who say push preflop. At a 5 dollar tourney, you'll probably get someone assuming you're restealing to call you with A7 or 55. If he has you beat, you're going broke on a lot of flops anyway. Just get it in there.