Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2005, 09:57 PM

Default Is This Success Usual?

Hi,

I am new to poker, just over a month now. I am diligently reading poker books, watching poker on tv, and practising a lot. I was hesitant about playing for real, and joined a site that gave me a free $10 just for signing up. I have now entered 18 Sit and Go's, generally of a small buy in of about $2.50. I have won 7 of these, finished second 3 times, and 3rd twice, meaning I am in the money 13 times. I have also entered some freerolls and have finished very high in them, generally in the top 50.

By learning the basics, playing the right starting hands, to be tight and aggressive, is it usually this easy to make a profit. I know this is lower levels I am starting at but I still expected the competition to be more intense. Is it usually this easy? And could I consider moving up a level, or should I stay where I am and continue to make a profit.

The people I read here, and online on the forums, are an awful lot better,so do the people who take the time to learn the game make a nice profit online?

What happened to the 90% of poker players are losers stat I read about,or are the 10% of sharks feeding of the 90& of fish

Trev
Old 07-26-2005, 10:00 PM

Default Re: Is This Success Usual?

This is essentially the way I started, and yes my winrate did look a lot like that. The level of play does increase once you get higher than the $2 tourneys, though, and you'll need to do so to make any decent money.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
By learning the basics, playing the right starting hands, to be tight and aggressive, is it usually this easy to make a profit.

[/ QUOTE ]
No. You are probably outplaying most of your opponents, but you are also getting really lucky. Don't quit your day job. You can outplay your opponents and finish out of the money in 10 straight SNGs, too.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:20 PM

You might want to lurk the 1-table Tournaments forum (SNGs). I wouldn't post this question there, as it gets asked a bit. Check out the FAQ on the top of that page for sustainable win rates.

To answer your question, this winrate is not sustainable. You also need an absolute minimum sample size of 500 to have any idea what your ITM/ROI is also. GOod luck.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:25 PM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

[ QUOTE ]
You might want to lurk the 1-table Tournaments forum (SNGs). I wouldn't post this question there, as it gets asked a bit. Check out the FAQ on the top of that page for sustainable win rates.

To answer your question, this winrate is not sustainable. You also need an absolute minimum sample size of 500 to have any idea what your ITM/ROI is also. GOod luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um don't lurk. Participate, you will get a heck of a lot more out of it.

Just my .02
Old 07-26-2005, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I suspect he's playing the $2.75s on Pacific, in which case the winrate may be sustainable, especially in the 5-player ones. Playing weak-tight in the bottom end of Pacific SnGs is insanely profitable. Often it's a matter of registering and falling asleep until you're in the money. Or at least it was when I was playing them.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:42 PM

It is Royal Vegas and The Gaming Club that I have been playing at, just won another and came second in the other

Trev
Old 07-28-2005, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It is Royal Vegas and The Gaming Club that I have been playing at, just won another and came second in the other

Trev

[/ QUOTE ]

Does the Gaming Club give you a free 10 bucks when you sign up?

If so, what is the URL of that site? I think I logged on to the wrong site.