Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 11:26 AM

Default Should I Be Taking a Flop Here?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (10 handed) converter

UTG (t2410)
UTG+1 (t8049)
UTG+2 (t4775)
MP1 (t2965)
MP2 (t11010)
MP3 (t5190)
CO (t4405)
Button (t7646)
Hero (t3420)
BB (t7501)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t400</font>, Hero???

Final Pot: t700

I'm not interested in bluffing away 1/3 of my stack on a re-steal, but should I spend about 10% to see a flop? Seems like if I call there's a decent chance the BB will come in as well. I haven't been at the table long, but neither of these guys has been especially aggressive with their large stacks. The only hand I've played was a push for 8BB's with AQo, so I probably have some equity for a semi-bluff.

You wouldn't know it from the stacks at this table, but I'm about average in the tournament. Should I take a flop or save my money?
Old 09-07-2005, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Should I Be Taking a Flop Here?

save your money
Old 09-07-2005, 11:45 AM

I am not crazy about calling out of position. The money is not deep enough for good implied odds. You could call, depending on you style.

I wouldn't bluff 1/3 of my stack either. I would reraise allin. There is 700 in the pot and you have 3300. I want that 700. If you are called, you will probably be a 3-2 underdog, but that is made up for somewhat by pot odds.

You didn't post the buyin or any information on your opponent. The higher the buyin, the more villain had been stealing, and the more he was willing to fold, the more I would like to push.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:59 AM

I'd call this. But then again, I suck. You said they haven't been aggressive. That and the fact that two relatively big stacks might not want to mess with each other, and maybe you can get a cheap flop. Hopefully the BB calls and you catch a good flop.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:09 PM

You have to fold this - you have 6 high and stacks far too shallow to get value from the suited connectors. If button consistently has been trying to steal blinds then you could resteal but I let this go without any specific reads on button.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:36 PM

I think you need over T5000 to make this call worth it.

I am a fan of calling and betting a lot of flops, including many you miss, against a minraising button from the BB, but not so much the SB, because the BB coming along significantly increaes the chance one of them hits the flop. Neither of them will fold the flop if they hit it at all because they have twice your stack. And the money isn't deep enough to call for value.

Edit: So as others have said - your only option is to push. That depends on your read of the button (and you have to take into account the small chance the BB has a big hand. It is easy to forget that).
Old 09-07-2005, 12:57 PM

If you had JTs or possibly T9s, I would say yes. 56s really wants to hit a flush or straight though, whereas JTs can sometimes put a big hurt on with just a pair.