Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 07:27 PM

Default My wife used Sklansky\'s Tourny Beginners method for 4th place.

NL holdem tournament sponsored by my wife's company. 30 entrants. My wife has never played, so I gave her the beginners'strategy from his Tournament Poker book. (The all-in or fold), She played 2 hands, and took down 4th place, and asked me why I didn't place. Thanks David.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:38 PM

Default Re: My wife used Sklansky\'s Tourny Beginners method for 4th place.

Some moronic donk named Tiffany Williamson used a similar strategy to "the system" as laid out in Sklansky's book (Sklansky's is better than what she was using...)

and she managed to place I think like 17th or something absurd.

It's a strategy that let's someone with little to no skill to level the playing field as much as possible with people who are better.

Phil Ivey can outplay me, but his cards cannot outplay my cards. When I'm all in preflop the only opportunity he has to beat me is by his cards beating me.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some moronic donk named Tiffany Williamson used a similar strategy to "the system" as laid out in Sklansky's book

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I remember hearing about her. I'm just glad that my wife didn't take 5 mintues before making every decision.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:00 PM

what is sklanksy's tourny beginners method
Old 10-06-2005, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what is sklanksy's tourny beginners method

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically it is: if somebody raises in front of you, go all in with aces, kings, or AK suited.

If nobody raises in front of you, go all in with aces, kings, ak suited (I think), any pair, and any suited connector except for 2/3 and 3/4. Everything else: you fold.

I had forgotten to tell my wife about the blinds. One time, I think she folded her big blind when there hadn't been a raise. The very beginner method doesn't address the blinds, but DS covers it somewhere else, with a little more complicated strategy.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:35 PM

Dear lord that explains a ton of crap ive seen in free-rolls.

[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2005, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some moronic donk named Tiffany Williamson used a similar strategy to "the system" as laid out in Sklansky's book (Sklansky's is better than what she was using...)

and she managed to place I think like 17th or something absurd.

[/ QUOTE ]

This just isnt true. She made two plays that made her appear as a donkey when she moved in preflop with a huge stack against another huge stack to a single raise with AQ and sucked out on the other guys KK and one with AJ against Raymer I think. These were on the 2nd and 3rd to last days of tournament though. She didnt play anything close to the system otherwise though and was from my perspective a pretty good player.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:54 AM

Would this system be a winning strategy in NL ring games as well? I'm thinking as a hit & run, once you double up you leave the table to protect your winnings. Obviously sometimes you'd lose, but if it has a 65%-70% winrate (besides stealing the blinds) it's good.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:47 AM

you just won't get called all in preflop by anything other than KK or AA in NL ring games, so it doesn't work... you'll get blinded to death and lose most of the time you get called
Old 10-07-2005, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
NL holdem tournament sponsored by my wife's company. 30 entrants. My wife has never played, so I gave her the beginners'strategy from his Tournament Poker book. (The all-in or fold), She played 2 hands, and took down 4th place, and asked me why I didn't place. Thanks David.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now what we need to complete the picture is all the people posting here who ever used THE SYSTEM and busted out without getting in the money.

Let's say we give a monkey two buttons ALL-IN and FOLD and deal him cards. Whenever he hits a button he gets a banana. Sooner or later a monkey will eventually win a tournament - even the WSOP 10k event.