Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2005, 04:03 PM

Default Did I play this correctly?

6/12 live seven or eight handed. I just sat down first hand I have been involved in. Table seems fairly tight passive. Sean is button with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Pre flop- two EP limpers CO limps Sean raises blinds fold limpers call.

Flop(4 players)-A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Both EP check CO bets Sean raises both EP fold CO calls.

Turn(2 players)-4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] CO checks Sean bets CO calls.

River(2 players)- Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] CO checks Sean checks.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:18 PM

Default Re: Did I play this correctly?

I guess the question is about the river check. I don't really see much he'd bet on the flop that you beat and will call a river bet. If you bet he'll either checkraise his 10/flush, call with his ace which you split with, or fold some hopeless hand (unless he's a dummy with some pocket pair or something).

So I think the check is ok.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:29 PM

This is a tough read because he was checking and calling the whole way. From my experience, this could easily mean:

1) Pocket pair, which will most likely lose to your Aces up.
2) An Ace, which (unless he has a K kicker) splits the pot.
3) A 10, which defeats you.
4) A flush, which also defeats you.
5) A poor player who doesn't know how to let a hand go.

Theoretically, there is also the possibility of a full house, but that seems unlikely to me considering how he played. (Unless he's holding pocket Q's.)

Because you read the table as passive, it seems unlikely that he is trying to check raise. However, he may still have you beat. Because you read the table as tight, options 2, 3, and 4 seem most likely.

You have a fairly strong hand, and in my experience players who don't know how to let go of a hand are more common than you would think. I would probably have bet the river. However, I think you played it smarter than I would have.

In short, I think you played it correctly, but I probably would have been more aggressive on the river.
Old 05-28-2005, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
6/12 live seven or eight handed. I just sat down first hand I have been involved in. Table seems fairly tight passive. Sean is button with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Pre flop- two EP limpers CO limps Sean raises blinds fold limpers call.

Flop(4 players)-A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Both EP check CO bets Sean raises both EP fold CO calls.

Turn(2 players)-4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] CO checks Sean bets CO calls.

River(2 players)- Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] CO checks Sean checks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against an unknown I play this exactly the same way as you played it. Against the regular any-ace players in my normal live game, I'm betting the whole way. Without reads, I think your line is best.
Old 05-28-2005, 01:41 AM

Why would you bet against the people who play Ace-anything? You have the same hand as them now if they do have the ace. Otherwise you lose.