Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 09:41 AM

Default Awkward or Standard?

Villain is a nut (70/50/2.9/220) but will back up if you show him any resistance. He won't let any street go betless when he's in position. Turn play is in question, but comments are welcomed on all.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls.

Flop: (7 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero ?
Old 09-29-2005, 09:54 AM

Default Re: Awkward or Standard?

At the risk of sounding weak why not just call him down? If he ALWAYS puts a bet in when checked to you can let him bet your hand for you and not risk him folding the worst hand, or having to pay extra the times he actually has a hand. If you improve on the river you can checkraise.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:11 AM

I'll post the rest of the hand/results later.

Any problems with the turn check?
Old 09-29-2005, 10:36 AM

Like I said, against the opponent you describe check/calling turn and river unimproved seems fine. Preflop I am not crazy about (out of position with a hand not too much above average) but its probably ok if you can expect BB to fold getting you HU with the nutso.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:51 AM

preflop you probably have enough of a hand vs. a 50 pfr from the button but you need to at least think about BB also (you gave no stats). postflop I really like as you know he is betting and getting raised is also a strong possibility and would really suck. call down is the win most/lose least line I think.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:00 AM

Yeah, I really don't like to 3 bet non-showdownable hands from the SB too often. This button is a gold mine though and the opportunity seemed pretty good. FWIW, BB was a TAG (25/18).
Old 09-29-2005, 11:36 AM

If he never lets a street go unchecked in position, then that is a trait you can and should exploit.

This means a check with the intention of raising on at least one street if you flop something. With this particular flop, you rate to be ahead by quite a bit on average against a 50 PFR raising on the button. So, this flop is your first opportunity to check-raise (you make 1-2 bets when you're ahead) as opposed to betting (you make 0-1 bets). You chose to bet instead, which is fine. It also has the advantage of looking more natural in case your read is off and he IS capable of checking behind you.

Once he calls, the situation is not quite as good as it was on the flop, since his range narrows, at least a little bit, once he calls your bet. And with the turn pairing the board, there are far fewer hands in his range that you can now beat (Ace high, pocket pairs, and junk are about it; you chop with another non-nut queen).

So whereas a turn check-raise would have been a potentially expert play against this particular opponent if a friendlier turn card had fallen, your plan may now have to shift to check-call. Betting that turn would probably be the worst of your three options given your read on villain.

Oh, i would definitely say this hand is NOT standard.

-v
Old 09-29-2005, 12:20 PM

Default Turn and River

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls.

Flop: (7 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB

I decided to call down as expected.

The real point of the post is to determine if you think the turn play is awkard or standard.

How many of you continue to lead?
Who also checks?

Thoughts on pros vs. cons?
Old 09-29-2005, 12:27 PM

Against this player I am betting the turn because it's not really a problem if I'm raised. I will call down and expect to have the best hand a significant amount of time. If I checked, it would be with the intention of checkraising, which I think you should do. Hands I would play like this would be something like AT or possibly even a lower pocket pair like 66,77 where a raise would put me in a tough spot and I have a hand with showdown value. Oh, and by the way I take this check/call , check/call line more than most on these boards but this is def not the spot for it IMO.

EDIT: so basically if he never checks a street, but won't raise you with a worse hand often, checkraise the turn if he will call down with a worse hand. If he's gonna fold to your raise its pointless.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:30 PM

I'd check-raise every street.