Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2004, 10:08 AM

Default Annie and Fossilman -- breaths of fresh air

It's so nice to see top players sit down at a great table, and in their interviews actually name some of the other participants as favorites. I think Mr. Raymer named Daniel Negreanu, and Mrs. Duke named her brother and in the broadcast actually said at the table 'I'm probably not a favorite' (paraphrasing). It gets old at times watching everybody name themselves as favorite, ecspecially in a game of imperfect information like poker.

Also, I think Greg proved something to those players, in case any of them thought he might be a 'fluke.' He's clearly a world class player.

And I'm curious about some of the criticism I've heard about ESPN selecting Annie, ranging from 'only because she's a woman' to 'one of their favorites.' So what? It's ESPN's show, they have a right to choose whoever they like. I think you could easily argue that Doyle Brunson is no longer one of the world's top 10 players, but nobody complained about his inclusion. It reminds me of the nonsense I heard about Annika Sorenstam's exemption to the Colonial last year, when she proceeded to beat many of the men in the field.

Anyway, I found it very easy to root for Annie and Fossil, as they seem like people that I would really like and respect should I ever get the chance to get to know them 'in real life.'

I hope to see them have more success. Great job!
Old 09-22-2004, 10:15 AM

Default Re: Annie and Fossilman -- breaths of fresh air

one thing for sure it did show another side of Annie Duke. It was cool. I loved them busting Phil's balls. That was great.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:16 AM

I'm even more impressed how Greg conducted himself.

Aside from being a world class poker player, he's shown himself to be a world class gentleman.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
one thing for sure it did show another side of Annie Duke. It was cool. I loved them busting Phil's balls. That was great.

[/ QUOTE ]

I loved her showing Phil that 9. He was probably acting, but he just couldn't let it die. Very entertaining stuff.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:09 AM

Actually, Phil Hellmuth has claimed himself the world class "gentleman of poker".

If anyone knows the exact quote, please post it. It was an interview with him on the first day of WSOP main event.

I still get a kick out of that.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:17 AM

I'm pretty sure he said he wanted to become known as a gentleman. But, as he said in the interview during the TOC broadcast, where they showed him watching himself in the WSOP broadcast, he's not there yet.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:50 AM

The final half hour was great theater. Annie owned Hellmuth. It was obvious that none of the other players like Phil. Doyle telling Phil he was too good of a player to be taking so much time to decide to play each hand was classic.

My Dad was in Vegas playing in some of the 4 Queens events and played next to a semi pro who plays all the events. When asked about the famous TV players he had nice words to nice about all except Phil. He stated that not only do the players dislike him, the dealers, cardroom managers, waitresses, valets and chamber mades hate him too. OK, I made up the last two.

All this being said, Hellmuth is obviously a brilliant player and listening to him think outloud as he is deducing the play is educational. I wish he was at the final table of every tournament because of the entertainment value.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure he said he wanted to become known as a gentleman. But, as he said in the interview during the TOC broadcast, where they showed him watching himself in the WSOP broadcast, he's not there yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah yes, I just saw that today.

In the original airing, he said he was the gentleman of poker, and while he was watching himself say that, he said not quite yet.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:11 PM

"I think you could easily argue that Doyle Brunson is no longer one of the world's top 10 players, but nobody complained about his inclusion."

He is easily still one of the top 10 players in the world. He just beat out the largest field in WPT history when he took home the Legends of Poker showdown. Not to mention, he still tears up the biggest cash game in the world. It's insulting for you to even mention that he 'easily' isn't in the top 10.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:34 PM

Dont forget he also just finished 67th (I believe) in the WSOP! The largest field in that tourneys history. Doyle not one of the top 10 [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]! That is news to me.