Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2004, 07:01 PM

Default Tough call with AK

$200 buy in no limit, $3 and $5 blinds.

I ($275) have AK in middle position, and I raise to $30 (a typical raise for this table). The player right after me reraises to $60, everyone folds to me, and I call.

Here is what I know about the raiser after me: He is a good tough player, who has been playing a little more aggressive preflop that he normally does (has been raising - not reraising - a lot of pots). He is pretty good at reading other players and knows that I am a fairly tight player, and that when I raise preflop, I probably have something good.

Flop ($120) is K Q 8 rainbow. I check, he eyes my chips a few times, and bets just enough to put me all in (about $250). Do you call or fold? What would you put him on? Is this a situation where the best I can hope for is to split the pot if he has AK? Should I have led out on the flop? See results below in white.

<font color="white">My thinking is, for him to reraise me, he probably has AA-QQ or AK, maybe JJ. On the flop, he would not have gone all in with KK or QQ (trips). He probably has AA or AK, and may be trying to bet me out of the pot with JJ (maybe even TT or AQ). I call, he shows AK, split pot.</font>
Old 06-22-2004, 07:20 PM

Default Re: Tough call with AK

That's a very tough call to make. I like how you talked yourself into making the right decision. Nice call.