Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2005, 03:35 AM

Default rivered like a little bitch, but now what?

i really messed this one up i think...

party poker POT LIMIT 1/2

i have around 200 behind, villain has around 150.

i pick up JJ in the sb, 3 limpers, i call.

flop 626, checked around.

turn 7, i bet 8, bb folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, button (villain) min raises to 16, i call, MP3 calls, CO calls.

river J. pot stands around 72, villain has around 130ish.

i? and post reasoning please.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:36 AM

Default Re: rivered like a little bitch, but now what?

weak lead?

Try and get him to raise a small bet so you can put him all in.

EDIT: also doesn't get checked through if you try a C/r and you're guaranteed a call.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:37 AM

how small of a bet? and wouldn't a check suffice, since he's not betting anything that's weak, but betting anything that's strong? ie a 6.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:40 AM

move in

haha just kidding saw the pot limit...

checkraise all in, he is betting any 6 / underfull, if he's min raising you on the turn with a small pair it's unlikely he'd call much anyways.

Also i'd consider betting hte flop, but I guess you were playing for set value
Old 03-30-2005, 03:41 AM

i was considering CRing the flop, but i guess that didn't really work out. i wanted to see how the others reacted to the flop before i took action in a 5 handed pot.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:42 AM

It would be a disaster if he's trying to make a play with 99 or something and checks it through on the river for a cheap showdown.

1. He could be weak.
2. He could be strong

(1) By checking you get nothing on the river. He might bet but fold to a C/r. If you bet small (im not sure how small small is...1/4 pot?) he's calling because it would be a disaster to give up the pot.
(2) By checking you get a large check raise in. By betting and him raising, you get all of his chips.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:45 AM

I like a check raise all in best. You have to figure Button will fire with any hand he will call a big bet with, and he might also bet out some sort of bluff with a missed draw if that is what he had. It also lets you get all your chips in. I like this better than a full pot bet because it's unlikely you have a bluff betting into the field.

Another alternative is a weak lead that could be raised, but that depends on your read on Button.

Whatever you do, don't bet something like 30. It's too strong to be raised, too weak to extract value, and perhaps too much to be called by a weak hand.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Whatever you do, don't bet something like 30. It's too strong to be raised, too weak to extract value, and perhaps too much to be called by a weak hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Interesting. I was going to suggest 30 precisely. I think that is looks exactly like a blocking bet from a medium strength hand which has some chance of calling a raise from villain's likely full house. I also think it is weak enough to be called by a weak hand. I'm sure the answer is that it is opponent dependent, but I wonder what other people think against an unknown here.

FWIW, I definitely think check/raise is the worst option. No way someone is bluffing into this board, I don't think so you won't gain from someone taking a stab at it. Hands which may call 30 will check behind. If he has a full house, which is the only hand that is going to call a check/raise here, then he will most likely raise it up himself if you bet 30.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:07 AM

Why not pot it? There is no way that he puts you on JJ, and I think villain is likely to have 6X, 22, maybe even 67. In pot limit, you have to build pots, so check-raise is almost never correct (vs NL).
Old 03-30-2005, 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i was considering CRing the flop, but i guess that didn't really work out. i wanted to see how the others reacted to the flop before i took action in a 5 handed pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

C/r this flop is ver ybad. You lose the most vs trips: what do you do on the turn if they call? what else CAN they call you with on the flop? c/r bloats the pot to the point that if they play on you lose alot of money.

I'd rather bet out. you can get value from lesser hands + protect your hand from giving a free draw to Q K A