Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2005, 04:26 PM

Default JJ Preflop play @ 25NL

Lately ive been meeting raises preflop with Jacks preflop, and ive reraised them and been put all-in most of the time. Is this a +EV play, or should i leave the Jacks at home?

A couple of examples, please leave a comment on these plays:

Hand #1
20NL @ Prima Poker
Hero (50$)
Villain (14$)
Rest (20ish$)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
2 folds, Villain raised $0.80, 2 folds, Hero raises $2.60, Villain raises $4.40, Hero goes All-in

Question: Should ive just called his raise, or is my reraise good? I used it to try to gain some information, and possibly call all-in if he reraises all-in (allthough he is a short stack, an all-in move didnt need to indicate a medium pair/overcards) I would put him on a lower pair/overcards, as if hes got premium holdings he usually would keep minraising me (is this thinking way out of line? Its my basic line of play at 25NL)

Hand #2
Hero (44$)
Villain (18$)
Rest (20ish$)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
1 folds, 1 calls, Villain raises 2$, Hero raises 5$, 4 folds, Villain goes All-in, Hero calls.

Question: An OK call? When I look at it now (after several bad played hands) I really dont like it. But ive seen to have been beat everytime I meet resistance with my Jacks.
I call his All-in raise for same reason as i stated above, as from my experience with 25NL players, they get eager when they dont have premium hands and try to push me out, but with premium hands they just min-raise all the way.

Hand #3
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 3 handed) converter

Hero ($24.7)
BB ($21.78)
Button ($23.85)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.1.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to $0.9</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $2.75</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4.9</font>, BB calls $18.78 (All-In), Hero calls $16.78.

Question: Basically the same as the one above, just to give some more examples
Old 07-31-2005, 05:01 PM

Default Re: JJ Preflop play @ 25NL

This is bad, raise hooks from any position, but do not re-raise unless you have a read on someone which implies you are most likely dominating them.

Standard: Raise or call a raise pre-flop.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:18 PM

Puh, now im relieved. Thanks for the advice, both of you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

So the reraise is not a smart move? Seems logical, but i feel its good to know where you stand as you easily could flop all low cards, and think your hand is good?

And how about QQ? Should i do the same with them, raise or call a raise preflop?

I guess KK isnt going to the muck at 25NL that easily..

Edit: Just a question to your comment on hand 3 swolfe: What do you mean by giving away my hand? Should I call to trap him, or call and hope to hit trips cause im most likely dominated?
Old 07-31-2005, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Edit: Just a question to your comment on hand 3 swolfe: What do you mean by giving away my hand? Should I call to trap him, or call and hope to hit trips cause im most likely dominated?

[/ QUOTE ]

if you put in the 3rd raise preflop, it tells him that you have a premium pocket pair or possibly AK. it's never good to give your opponent that good of an idea about what you're holding.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:13 PM

hand 1: just call the raise. fold to the 3-bet

hand 2: re-raise is fine with position (and a read), but fold to the 3-bet

hand 3: 3-handed, i'd have to think you had the best hand, but you're going to be heads up and 3-betting gives away your hand. i'd call his reraise and play some poker after the flop. i generally won't 3-bet unless it's an all-in.