Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2005, 10:26 PM

Default WYNN O8 Starting Hand Naming System

I am just learning o8 and I see that it is hard to discuss starting hands, because it is hard to communicat the suits. So I wrote down the Wynn o8 Starting Hand Naming System. It is defined as:

1) Using the conventional single character rank names, name the ranks of the cards of the longest suit, Ace high, descending in rank.If multiple suits of more than one card, then use suit with highest ranked card first.

2) Place a "-" (dash).

3) Name the cards of the next longest suit as above.

4) Go to 2 until done.

So a Kh, As, Ts, 3c would be

AT-K-3
Old 05-31-2005, 09:01 PM

Default Re: WYNN O8 Starting Hand Naming System

[ QUOTE ]
So a Kh, As, Ts, 3c would be

AT-K-3

[/ QUOTE ]

Darvon - Interesting and reasonable. Put the ace and the ten together because they're the same suit and then separate the other cards into suits, listing the highest ranked first.

I can understand that. Trouble is, it's not as crystal clear as writing
"K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]."

A second problem is I doubt everyone would understand what I meant if I wrote a hand designation as AT-K-3.

A third problem is there's at least one other system already in use.

A fourth problem is one could never be sure whether or not a poster writing A-K-T-3 was following the convention and meant "rainbow" or not.

A fifth problem is there are 16432 distinctly different hands. When you come to have thousands of hands listed in a file (as I do), there's some advantage to being able to quickly find the hand you're seeking. It's very easy to scan through a list and find all A3TK hands grouped together (non-suited, various varieties of single suited, and various varieties of double suited).
Although there are eleven distinctly different A3TK-single-suited hands, some of them do not play much differently than others. For example, A3-K-T and AT-K-3, though distinctly different, actually play very much the same.

(My own files would show both A3-K-T and AT-K-3 simply as A2TKs. Don't get me wrong - my own files are certainly not perfect. I use sub-designations such as s-, s=, s", s', s-', etc. which might be confusing to you).

No matter.

At any rate, thanks for showing us a way some posters might designate hands. At least it addresses suitedness.

Buzz