Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2005, 10:20 AM

Default Am I not respecting UTG limpers enough?

Two tournaments I started at the same time multitabling on Paradise.

The first is supersatellite. Winner gets seat, 2-4 get some cash. 3-handed, I have 1/7 of chips and 10xBB. UTG limps. I push from BB with KJo. UTG shows KK.

$10 rebuy, 42 players left, 40 places play, but play not tight. Blinds 2000/4000/200. I have T28K on button. UTG limps. There is some limping but not a lot. Villain had limped two hands before from third position. I push for 7xBB with AJs. UTG calls with AA.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:54 AM

Default Re: Am I not respecting UTG limpers enough?

i fold both preflop. both plays seem pretty donkish to me. i would rather push any 2 than push a very marginal hand against anyone in EP showing interest.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i fold both preflop. both plays seem pretty donkish to me. i would rather push any 2 than push a very marginal hand against anyone in EP showing interest.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. Granted it didn't really work out for him. But I make the same play in both cases. Are you just going muck these hands at only 7 & 10BB respectively? and 3 handed? If not, then I definitley want to be first in w/ them, instead of making a difficult call.

But I am still just starting to fully comprehend some of the more advanced concepts and transating them into actual play. So, I may be off base...
Old 08-09-2005, 11:36 AM

my apologies. didn't see the 3-handed info. aj is gold in that position. kj is a little tougher, but i still push. sorry it didn't work out for you. variance is a bitch
Old 08-09-2005, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
my apologies. didn't see the 3-handed info. aj is gold in that position. kj is a little tougher, but i still push. sorry it didn't work out for you. variance is a bitch

[/ QUOTE ]

KJ was 3-handed. AJs was a full table 7xBB button push at UTG limper.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:52 AM

My bad. I still push w/ AJ though. A normal 3-4x bb raise cripples you, so I'm still pushing even on a full table.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:59 AM

Did multi-tabling cause you to miss out on some reads?

Once you get to the bubble, you are more likely to see players trying to be sneaky by limping in with big pairs, hoping to trap people who call after a small stack goes all-in. If you are inattentive, you may miss these things. I have sometimes limped behind with a hand like JJ, knowing that an UTG limper was most likely trying to trap with a big hand. I wasn't so weak as to fold, but I did play it in a way that I avoid losing my stack.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did multi-tabling cause you to miss out on some reads?

Once you get to the bubble, you are more likely to see players trying to be sneaky by limping in with big pairs, hoping to trap people who call after a small stack goes all-in. If you are inattentive, you may miss these things. I have sometimes limped behind with a hand like JJ, knowing that an UTG limper was most likely trying to trap with a big hand. I wasn't so weak as to fold, but I did play it in a way that I avoid losing my stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't really multitabling that much. I started out with 3 tournaments and was playing 2 when I busted out of the supersatellite and 1 when I busted out of the rebuy. I sometimes start out a few MTTs at a time, but wind up single tabling the one I do well at; or I will start out playing an MTT with SNGs, but don't start new SNGs once I get far in the MTT. I don't find I can multitable like 7 MTTs the way you can with SNGs or cash games, unless the MTTs are much lower than my usual buyin.

That was kind of what I was wondering was if I was missing reads. Both pushes seemed reasonable based on hand strength, but when there was not that much limping maybe I should have been more cautious of an UTG limper. Perhaps a limp specifically from UTG can be a tell. Of course, you don't remember all the time you push and UTG folds or calls with a worse hand.

Myself, I really don't like to limp from early position with a big pair when limping is unusual. If there is a lot of loose play and several limpers are common and/or people are frequently coming over top of limpers, then I will trap. Also, if I have 10-15xBB, and I have to limp with almost any hand I play UTG, then I will limp with a big pair too. When I have a big pair, I would rather not do anything unusual to attract suspicion.