Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 01:07 PM

Default $100 Pokerstars - Draw against a bad LAG

Villain is real bad. (I wasn't running PT so no stats.) But I've seen him make play with: any 2 suited (J-4), any pair, any connectors, and sometimes just 1 broadway card. He would raise with any of the above in late position. Worse then the crappy raising standards, he's make numerous bad calls and some really terrible bluffs. (like bluffing with an unimproved 6-8 off suit when someone else clearly has three of a kind) He's had to reload a few times.

Hero has $110. Villain has ~$85.

1 limp, folds to Villain in CO who raises to $4 (standard).. to Hero in SB who completes with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Limper folds.

($9) FLOP 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

hero checks. Villain bets $5. Hero raises to $15. Villain thinks (which for the record, wasn't usual, he usually quickly folded or raised) and CALLS.

($39) 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero bets $15. Villain quickly raises to $30. Hero calls.

($99) 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero Pushs (his last $30 or so)

Comments?
Old 06-23-2005, 01:43 PM

Default Re: $100 Pokerstars - Draw against a bad LAG

fish get lucky too... he probably has a boat from a hit set or even the straight if he's as bad as you say he is
Old 06-23-2005, 02:00 PM

I generally try not to draw against LAG's, but rather let them pay to draw against me.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:16 PM

I'm bumping this for 3 reasons:
1) in response to fimbulwinters post
2) I wanted more responses
3) This is not a traditional play for me. I based this play entirely on my read of the player. 9 times out of 10 against most players, I wouldn't have risked this much on a draw.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he's make numerous bad calls and some really terrible bluffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

With this read I think you have enough left on the turn to call (and like your pair outs) and good reason to push on the river (if he has you beat, he's going all in anyway, and you can't fold vs this guy getting 4:1, why risk him checking behind with a hand he would of called with).

Obviously there's a lot of hands that he can logically hold that beat you, but I think you're ahead of most of the random hands he might have.

I rarely use your flop/turn line (I usually just bet the flop), so I can't really comment on it.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:12 AM

I guess this wasn't that interesting a hand. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Anyhoo... I was kind of proud of this one.

These are the thoughts I left out because I wanted to see what people thought without being biased by my thoughts:

1 limp, folds to Villain in CO who raises to $4 (standard).. to Hero in SB who completes with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Limper folds.

<font color="red"> I decided at this moment that I was probably ahead of the raiser. I actually told myself before he raised that he was going to raise here no matter what he had. I was actually more worried about the initial ep raiser then the guy who raised. I didn't feel the need to raise because (1) I didn't want to give away what I thought was the strength of my hand and (2) I knew he would bet no matter what so I would let him bet for me. </font>

($9) FLOP 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

hero checks. Villain bets $5. Hero raises to $15. Villain thinks (which for the record, wasn't usual, he usually quickly folded or raised) and CALLS.

<font color="red"> I thought this was a good flop for me. I still thought I was likely ahead and I thought it likely that all my outs were also looking good. I thought there was a good chance I would win it with a checkraise. Furthermore, If he had better then top pair, I thought he would have reraised me. His call made me think he might be on a draw. I also have seen him call with nothing and attempt to bluff on later streets. </font>

($39) 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero bets $15. Villain quickly raises to $30. Hero calls.

<font color="red"> His reraise didn't mean anything to me. I thought if he really had a 3 or filled up, he would have put me all in. The best hand I would put him on here is a mid pair. More likely, I thought he was making a half ass steal attempt. (he never bet enough in any hand to make a legitimate steal. </font>

($99) 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero Pushs (his last $30 or so)

<font color="red"> Other then giving me the flush, an ace or queen was going to make me happy. The pots to big for me to fold and I know he'll bet if I check so I bet first.</font>

Does this commentary make this look any better or worse?

RESULTS:
<font color="white"> You have to laugh:
Villain reveals K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

My Hand is good.

What I always want to know... why does he call the river? Is there any chance in his mind that King high is good? </font>
Old 06-24-2005, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What I always want to know... why does he call the river? Is there any chance in his mind that King high is good? </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

He is a moron. Put him on your BL.