Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 11:23 AM

Default Hand I cap light...

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (7.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
SB has Ad 5s (one pair, queens).
Hero has 9c Ac (flush, ace high).
Outcome: Hero wins 9.50 BB. </font>

Questions is, does this sort of calldown have any merit? am I going to see this often? Villian is Blackstone and is a slightly loose solid player (before this hand) 33/21/2.0/38 over 1322 hands.

I figured by capping light I would be able to take down pots before showdown more often and make better folds when I'm behind postflop. I didn't imagine being called down by a worse hand an advantage of capping light. I'm assuming this is an anomaly? Thanks,

Krishan
Old 11-01-2005, 11:40 AM

Default Re: Hand I cap light...

[ QUOTE ]

Questions is, does this sort of calldown have any merit?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a very poor calldown against a TAG, and not worth emulating. Am I not understanding the quesion?

[ QUOTE ]
am I going to see this often? I'm assuming this is an anomaly?

[/ QUOTE ]

In my experience, most lags do not respect caps at all, especially off a resteal, because they themselves (the ones without respect)will cap "for deception" in these situations a high percentage of the time eith any hand. It also depends on game history.

In general, I only cap for value against LAGs. The only exception is if I have a read or have been playing very tight and not out of line, and the LAG looks to be making a move. I do use this move pretty often against even slightly weak-tight players, epecially on resteals.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:11 PM

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you asking about the pf action? Or were you asking whether the hand was worth calling down just for high card value, in the event you didn't make your draw?

In any event, I think capping pf is perfectly reasonable. The 3-bet from the sb certainly could be an effort to isolate against a perceived steal. If villain is basically solid, as you say, it would seem that there is some folding equity gained.

But I wouldn't think that the cap would have much of an impact on the decision whether to call down.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you asking about the pf action? Or were you asking whether the hand was worth calling down just for high card value, in the event you didn't make your draw?

In any event, I think capping pf is perfectly reasonable. The 3-bet from the sb certainly could be an effort to isolate against a perceived steal. If villain is basically solid, as you say, it would seem that there is some folding equity gained.

But I wouldn't think that the cap would have much of an impact on the decision whether to call down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not calling down. I'm betting. The question was basically just what should I expect from capping light since I'm relatively new to it.

Krishan
Old 11-01-2005, 12:19 PM

if this is a light cap for you, I dont see how he can call the turn profitably in this hand.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if this is a light cap for you, I dont see how he can call the turn profitably in this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he just wanted to see what I had since in the past I haven't capped often at all.

Krishan
Old 11-01-2005, 12:26 PM

I think this was poor play on villains behalf, but FWIW I think he probably got some sense that you were capping light and decided to call down with the possibility that Ace was good and with some possible gutshot/pair outs if behind.

I doubt a decent LAGTAG is doing this routinely, but we all make mistaken reads at times.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:27 PM

I think you only gain folding equity against no pair, no A-hi hands. A-hi hands have just bigger odds to draw for an ace.