Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2004, 07:22 PM

Default Dr. chesspain is coming to Vegas!

To all of you Vegas denizens:

I'll be making my first trip to Vegas with some poker buddies at this end of this month, so put away your neuroses and your health insurance cards. The main item on the agenda will be low limit poker, although I'm sure that we will find time to sample some of the other special, Vegas activities. If anyone is interested in getting together, please let me know either by openpost or PM.

P.S. We will be staying in a condo complex near the intersection of Tropicana and Decatur. My understanding is that we will be approx. 1.5 - 2 miles from the strip. Although we will have a rental car, I actually enjoy taking long walks, especially on vacation. Is this a safe area though which to walk? Or should I plan on taking a taxi if my buddies are elsewhere with the wheels?
Old 01-11-2004, 09:54 PM

Default Re: Dr. chesspain is coming to Vegas!

I wouldn't make the walk, more for upleasantness than safety. It is not a scenic stretch at all and you have to cross the freeway. Maybe walk to Orleans and shuttle to the strip on their free shuttle, if it is running during the hours you are walking. Cab back maybe.

Have fun
Old 01-12-2004, 12:04 AM

Hey Chess, you might like taking walks, but this isn't the most pleasant place to do so. I don't think it's dangerous, but if you like taking walks for serenity and peace of mind, this might not be the place. Also, I don't know what sort of stakes you play, but when I was carrying $2,000-$3,000 around I feel a little better taking a cab.
-James
Old 01-12-2004, 03:47 AM

Tropicana & Decatur is VERY close to the Orleans. You can walk to the Orleans.

For what it's worth. I feel completly safe walking in the area of Tropicana & Decatur. I'm in that area often (though I live in the far northwest side of town). I have friends who live in apartments at that intersection and they walk that area all the time.

On the other hand, it's not exactly Walton's moutain.

Give the Orleans a look. They have $1-5 stud. $4-8 O/8, $2-4 hold'em. 4-8 hold'em. $6-12 hold'em, and my favorite, $10-20 hold'em with a kill to $15-30.

They have a Subway right by the poker room. They have lots of fun tournaments. The movie theater at the Orleans is good for taking a break from the poker action.

Get a poker comp card and use it at any of their many restaurants (or use it at the Subway if you just want a quick snack between hands).

If you are in town on a Wednesday, stop by Dr Schoonmaker's poker group and say "Hi'.

Best of Luck on your trip!

Best Wishes

Howard