Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 10:32 PM

Default Post-and-Fold Etiquette

We played a game last nite where the 7th player was in transit and gave us permission to post-and-fold him until he arrived. After highcarding for the button, he was the big blind. A friend of mine who folded just looked at his hand after the hand, and his 63o would have actually yielded a full house. The next hand, in the small blind, his KK would have seen a flop of K-10-8 and a turn of K, giving him quads. Now, obviously, this is just a stroke of horrible luck for him, not showing up and all, but what is the proper etiquette for such a situation?
Old 07-21-2005, 10:38 PM

Default Re: Post-and-Fold Etiquette

proper etiquette is SHOW UP ON TIME! i used to host a game and at first we used to wait for the last player to show up, before you know it we were starting 30-45 minutes AFTER the scheduled start!! it's somewhat immoral to check his hole cards. don't worry about it, post and fold his hands until he shows up
Old 07-21-2005, 10:47 PM

Proper etiquette is to deal his hands out and fold them, without looking at them, every time.

Make sure to tell him about the monsters he missed- that will motivate him to be on time next time, as Cro said! :P
Old 07-21-2005, 10:50 PM

Hah yeah, as soon as he arrived, we told him, and he was like, "Dammit, I knew I should've gotten here earlier." And then he proceded to bust out 5th in a 7-person tournament.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:50 PM

Bet he'll have to be in an accident before he's late ever again! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-22-2005, 12:33 PM

when im to the right of absentee and i fold, i always look, but methinks the official line should be no looking. and i agree telling him about the monsters he missed is great motivation.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:43 PM

I don't think it matters if you look or not. It's just kinda interesting and like you guys said, you can use that as motivation for him not to be late next time. It's just a home game and it's all just for fun anyway, so have some fun.

When you are posting and folding for people, what is the rule for the BB?

What if two players limp in with the BB and then the hands get checked to showdown? Does the absent player who posted the BB have a chance to win the hand, or is his hand dead at the flop?
Old 07-22-2005, 12:50 PM

Well... I was able to find the answer myself, imagine that.

Normally, I'd just edit my old post to delete my question, but others might like to share in my new-found knowledge. I hope no one minds that I kinda hijacked this thread, but I thought the topic was applicable and the original question seems to have been addressed.

From Robert's Rule of Poker:
"11. A player must be at the table by the time all players have their complete starting hands in order to have a live hand for that deal. (The dealer has been instructed to kill the hands of all absent players immediately after dealing each player a starting hand.)"

Before I found this, we used to just kill the hands when it was the absent player's turn to act. Now we can kill them immediately.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Before I found this, we used to just kill the hands when it was the absent player's turn to act. Now we can kill them immediately.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd still kill it in turn, myself. Give people a chance to get back to the table if they stepped away. In the BB, when the action comes to that hand preflop, they have a check/bet decision to make. Absent a player, fold their hand.

"I don't think it matters if you look or not. It's just kinda interesting and like you guys said, you can use that as motivation for him not to be late next time. It's just a home game and it's all just for fun anyway, so have some fun. "

The problem is, you're revealing information about the OTHER players' hands when you turn over the dead hand. In the OP's examples, everyone knew that the winners didn't have the monsters that they were representing.

Another problem with exposing- the hand is dead, then the player walks up during the rest of that hand and sees his cards were a monster. You know that is going to cause an argument.

Don't peek, just kill the hand- it avoids a lot of problems IMO.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:17 PM

its his fault be being late- [censored] happens.