Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 08:01 PM

Default How do you play weak hands on the flop?

Two situations keep happening to me.

10 handed 1/2NL game

Two limpers to me in the BB. I have something like J9. Flop comes J62. What do I do? If I just check it's likely someone will just bet the pot on a steal and take it down. Or I call their bet and I have no info about their hands and they make another good sized bet on the turn. Should I stop and go here? If I bet out half of this pot, its a really weak bet and gets called or raised often. If I bet the pot or overbet, I'm likely to only get called by a better hand, however even if they have a worst hand I will check the turn and they will take the pot away from me(because my hand is so weak).

2nd situation is, When I'm in the BB or button with AA-JJ and theres 3-5 limpers to me, I make a big bet of 5-8BB.Everyone calls. Flop comes down all undercards. The pot is like huge already. I might have the best hand but I might be completely dominated. Should I come out swinging? I'll probably only get a call from a better hand and even if its worst, he might think his hand is good and overplay it and make me fold. Should I just make another preflop size bet and another one on the turn hoping to see a cheap showdown? But even then I'm likely to get reraised by someone who thinks I'm weak.

Check folding or check calling these flops seems weak. How do you guys play these hands?
Old 10-03-2005, 08:26 PM

Default Re: How do you play weak hands on the flop?

Weak drawing hands are always hard to play out of position. I don't like stop and go's in this kind of situations. You give everyone a free card with a weak hand AND even if the turn comes rag, someone with middle pair or something might call or raise you because they think you have a worse hand than you have. In your exempel, if turn comes 4, someone can put you on a straight draw or a pair of fours and raise you with pair of sixes. Or they can pick up a strong draw and make a semibluff. What do you do against a raise after the turn?

If you catch a weak top pair, bet the pot or check/fold. With a rag board like rainbow 249 I sometimes do a checkraise to scare people of (if I'm SB or BB). With few players, an unraised pot and a raggish board, I always bet the pot. If I meet resistance, I'm prepared to fold. Remember, you may loose that small pot to a worse hand, but next time when you bet the pot with a strong hand and someone raise you with a drawing hand or decent hand, you can get some action. Weak hand out of position -> try to win it right away or just check/fold. (If it's headsup and I have a good read on the player, I sometimes call a raise just to see how it goes after that.)

Position rules. A friend of mine only playes QQ-AA in bad position, and he plays everything on the button. (10/20 NL)
Old 10-03-2005, 09:03 PM

Bet the flop here, the amount you would normally bet into 2 opponents. You want to protect against people calling with overcards. It is a good hand against 2 limpers, but fold to heavy action.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

10 handed 1/2NL game

Two limpers to me in the BB. I have something like J9. Flop comes J62. What do I do?

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet out here. 3/4 pot or so and go from there. If I'm called it's an easy check/fold if I don't improve. If you're going to check the flop it should be with the intent to fold. You don't want to play hands like this out of position. They cost you money and generally aren't worth the trouble. Too many times you're up against something better.

[ QUOTE ]
2nd situation is, When I'm in the BB or button with AA-JJ and theres 3-5 limpers to me, I make a big bet of 5-8BB.Everyone calls. Flop comes down all undercards. The pot is like huge already. I might have the best hand but I might be completely dominated. Should I come out swinging? I'll probably only get a call from a better hand and even if its worst, he might think his hand is good and overplay it and make me fold. Should I just make another preflop size bet and another one on the turn hoping to see a cheap showdown? But even then I'm likely to get reraised by someone who thinks I'm weak.

Check folding or check calling these flops seems weak. How do you guys play these hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, It's bad to just check/call these hands with a good flop. You're likely ahead preflop to hands that just limped. Bet out this flop every time. You can't be scared to lose in this game. I hate to say it but that seems to be your problem. If someone has outdrawn you, you'll know it by the aggression that happens in the hand. Then you can slow down.

Depending on the aggression in the hand you could bet the flop, 1/2 pot the turn, and plan to check to river (given nothing too scarey to your hand comes up).

Really I think you need to be sure of your play. Don't second guess yourself all the time. You CAN over analyze things and many poker players do this. Don't play in fear of being dominated. In the long run, if you play winning poker it wont matter what happens this one hand. It's hard to think about the long run but really it's all that matters. Long term results.

Okay I've strayed a bit much... time to end it.