Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2004, 04:16 AM

Default Poorly played? Good laydown of strong hand?

Stakes: $.25/$.50 No Limit
Players: Loose and poor

I'm in small blind and there a couple of limpers. I see 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and complete. BB checks.

Flop comes a pretty solid:

5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

No flush draw. I check to see if anyone wants to take a stab at it. No biters. So on to the turn:

A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], which completes the rainbow.

Maybe someone has an A now, and will try to take it down. I check, BB bets the pot of $2. Everyone folds to me. I check-raise to $5. He pops me back for $17!! I have a new set of worries now. He "must" know I have the 5. So I'm thinking he either has a 5 too with a good kicker or he has 34 for the straight, so I lay it down. Who else does what I did? Anyone do anything differently?

Garland

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.50 BB (10 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG ($54.35)
UTG+1 ($3.55)
UTG+2 ($84.07)
MP1 ($12.45)
MP2 ($51.45)
MP3 ($16.25)
CO ($89.05)
Button ($48.70)
Garland ($50)
BB ($22.80)

Preflop: Garland is SB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls $0, <font color="666666">4 folds</font>, Button calls $0, Garland completes, BB checks,50,50,

Flop: ($2) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Garland checks, BB checks, UTG+2 checks, Button checks.

Turn: ($2) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Garland checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets $2</font>, UTG+2 folds, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Garland raises to $5</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises to $17</font>, Garland folds.

Final Pot: $24
<font color="green">Main Pot: $12, won by BB.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: $12, returned to BB.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
No showdown. BB wins $24. </font>
Old 06-08-2004, 04:54 AM

Default Re: Poorly played? Good laydown of strong hand?

With no read on BB, this is a good laydown.

If you continue with this hand, you're whole stack is probably going down if you lose.
I believe you would've been drawing extremely thin here, probably needing a 4 to take it down.
He surely has 2/2, 3/4, or trips with a higher kicker unless he's a complete lunatic, or knows you can be moved off a pot here.

I'd wait for a better opportunity to get your money in, you haven't committed much here at all.
Old 06-08-2004, 05:24 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
If you continue with this hand, you're whole stack is probably going down if you lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

The BB was shortstacked so there was only another 5 bucks or so left over if he had called.

I'm honestly not too sure here. This is probably one where I would push since the bb has a small stack and fold if he made a similar bet and had you covered.

The thing about this hand is that one of you is drawing virtually dead but of course you don't know which one of you it is. That makes for a tricky situation.
Old 06-08-2004, 05:43 AM

You're right, my mistake, I didn't take note of the BB's short stack.
I still think it was a good laydown however.
Old 06-08-2004, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Stakes: $.25/$.50 No Limit

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the laydown was terrible at these limits.