Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2005, 01:56 PM

Default Better Read?

I have a chance to get one of three books more or less for free. I have a moderate skill level and have been playing for about 8 months. The choices are Phil Helmuth's Play Poker Like the Pros, John Vorhaus' Killer Poker, or Killer Poker online.

I'm familiar with Helmuth and his style, but I honestly have no idea what to expect from Vorhaus. I'd appreciate an honest opinion from anyone familiar with the books, especially the latter two.

Thanks
Old 01-16-2005, 02:00 PM

Default Re: Better Read?

While the latter two books aren't worth their weight in salt, Phil Hellmuth's book is, by far, the greatest poker book ever written... end of story.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:11 PM

that's a riot.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:14 PM

Here is a link to Mason's reviews.

Book Reviews
Old 01-16-2005, 02:23 PM

You can do a search here for Mason's reviews. I don't remember what he had to say about Vorhaus. As I remember, he gave Hellmuth a two-part rating, a 1 (10 being best) for his advice on limit holdem and a 6 for his treatment of everything else.

I read parts of Phil's book, including the section on O/8. It is OK, but lacks depth. You aren't going to learn O/8 by reading Phil's book. I have at least 3 books on O/8 that are better.I have read both Vorhaus books. They are OK, but there are a lot of better books to read. His books are more about attitude and psychology than poker strategy.

Also take a look at Book Reviews

Bottom line, if you have to get one of these, read the reviews and see what best fits your needs. If you have other options, there are a ton of better books out there.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

that's a riot.

[/ QUOTE ]

It says right on the cover that Phil is "...the greatest poker player is the world today..." They couldn't say that if it wasn't true, could they [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I mean, if someone was better, like Mike Matusow or the Crew, they could sue, right? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]