Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2005, 06:58 PM

Default Pop it or push it?

Bodog 100k
Blinds 75/150

UTG+1(5380), very good player that I've had at my table several times in the past, limps
UTG+2 limps
Hero (6252) limps in L/MP with 44
folded to SB (2647) who completes
BB checks

Pot (750)
Flop 4h 5c 6s

SB Leads for 480
UTG+1 raises to 1360
UTG+2 folds
Hero?

As I said, I have had a lot of history with UTG+1, and he is one of the more successful players on this site. I believe his range here most of the time will be 77-TT, maybe JJ. No read on SB. I believe if I push, villain can find a fold with his overpair. How much would you raise, or do you still just push? I think if I pop it to 2600, it would be much harder for him to get away, and if SB wants to continue or has me killed already, it would effectively put him in, as would a push.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:16 PM

Default Re: Pop it or push it?

I'd prob just call, and hope the SB goes nuts. I don't really like pushing them off their hands on the flop. Wait for the turn to jam.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:20 PM

A call from a good player would scare me more than a push here, plus you hate a whole bunch of cards on the turn (for action killing reasons, too).

I push here if your stack is anywhere near the right range for it.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:27 PM

Ahh, crap. Knew I forgot something. I had 6252 at the start of the hand. You don't like popping him to ~2600 here? I feel he can lay down to a push with the overpair here , but I would think that raise would at least cause some vomiting on his part.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:45 PM

Push, and and be happy when everyone folds.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:18 PM

I'm just looking for an explanation as to why pushing here would be better than popping to ~2600 if I believe a push folds out UTG+1's overpairs.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:34 PM

I push.

This game is so messed up, one of them might call you here. 77 is definately going to call you here. If you pop it a little and the turn is ugly (3-5-6-7-8) your hands are tied and you might be behind. In fact, when the ugly card comes and the villian pushes, whacha gonna do?

Take it down, increase your stack by 25% and move on. If they call your push and have donkey failure then you double through them!