Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2005, 12:06 AM

Default AA fold

SB is SLa-P with 21% vpip and 1.5 agression

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (5 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (5.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>. HERO??

Final Pot: 11.50 BB

main question is, will i be better off simply calling the river bet or do a raise fold or raise call. he took about 5 seconds on both flop and turn to call, and took another 5 seconds to make a 3 bet on river.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:09 AM

Default Re: AA fold

I raise the river.

Not sure if you call a 3-bet, though. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 04-25-2005, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
SB is SLa-P with 21% vpip and 1.5 agression

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (5 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (3.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (5.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>. HERO??

Final Pot: 11.50 BB

main question is, will i be better off simply calling the river bet or do a raise fold or raise call. he took about 5 seconds on both flop and turn to call, and took another 5 seconds to make a 3 bet on river.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO raising the river raise sucks, unless you can fold to a 3-bet. Anything you beat (unless he played KK like a total jackass) is folding to your raise anyway.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:12 AM

Call the river bet. The river is a total blank, meaning that he's either betting an underpair in the hopes that you whiffed with overcards, he's bluffing in the same hopes, or he's been slowplaying a Q or FH since the flop. There's also the slight chance that he boated up with 99 on the river.

At any rate, any hand that beats you 3-bets you. Most hands you beat fold to your raise. Against a reasonable opponent, your river raise holds no value.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:14 AM

My post is officially revoked. It's not even mine, really.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a good post though, and you're a better poker play for making it.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:17 AM

Geez, this really, Really, REALLY feels like a passive player slow-playing trips to the river. A smarter player goes nutzo from the flop, but a SLa-P could easily do this with nothing more than a loose queen.

The other possible hand here is 99. SLa-P calls down to the river hoping that you only have overcards, gets the miracle two-outer to the boat, and takes off running.

When a passive player leads out on the river after you've shown aggression preflop, on the flop, AND on the turn, that sets off warning lights in my head. I think I make a swearing call on the river, rather than a raise. If you're ahead, a passive player isn't going to make this three. You either gain one bet if the SLa-P calls or none if he folds. However, if you're behind, you save one or two big bets by just calling the river. Of course, folding the river is a bad choice -- you've got 6.5:1 odds with a hand that could easily be good if SLa-P went nuts and bet his A9.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a good post though, and you're a better poker play for making it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. I make an ass of myself daily and my win rate proves it. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]