Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2005, 04:13 AM

Default TT - postflop

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (6 handed) converter

SB (t940)
BB (t650)
UTG (t405)
MP (t3545)
Hero (t1790)
Button (t670)

Preflop: Hero is CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls t50, Hero calls t50, Button calls t50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (t225) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t125</font>, BB folds, MP folds, Hero calls t125.

<font color="blue"> Here are my thoughts, and I think I've made an error.

Villain made a relatively large bet for her to have a Q, IMO. So I was guessing villain had either Ax or 2x. Furthermore, everyone else had folded out of the hand, making this HU.

Looking back, I think calling is a mistake, this should probably be a raise right? </font>
Old 09-01-2005, 04:22 AM

Default Re: TT - postflop

i'd push -- i think you're looking at a steal or lower pair here a lot

if you are beat, it's not too devestating
Old 09-01-2005, 04:31 AM

Raise pre-flop. All-in on flop. (Rarely does a player who hits trips bet it out on a raggedy board like that, they're hoping to suck bets out and then move over the top). Also, Button didn't raise pre-flop, so likely no JJ-AA. My $.02
Old 09-01-2005, 04:35 AM

What makes you think this bet is too large for Qx? I don't think it is. With no draws on board, I think you are up against 2x or 33-99 fairly often. You should try to get the most out of them that you can, and I'd be willing to stack the button here.

I may raise here. Too many cards scare him away later. He could have the Q too. I think he doesn't have enough chips for you to try and figure that out though.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:37 AM

Why a push? I, for some reason, don't like the push here.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why a push?

[/ QUOTE ]

Button's stack.

NP: Disharmonic Orchestra - Nine9nine
Old 09-01-2005, 05:43 AM

I think you're ahead here most of the time and button has too few chips for you to get cute, re-raise allin.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:35 AM

Push. Button's stack's pretty small, you figure to have him beat, he's gotta have outs, and you have FE.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:24 AM

Due to stack size I would push as well. Although a push here also tells him you have no Q and you will have to survive his draw which could be 2 overcards to you. If he had few more chips I like a call here and a check raise if the A doesnt come out. Even if a J or K comes on the turn I think a play like this would push top pair out anyway.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:30 AM

I agree with you...I wouldn't think he/she is betting a Q here.

But given that hunch, there are too many cards out there that bail her out (or represent that it did) if she's in fact making this bet with Ax, or another combination of "over-T's".

The "new pot" is t350...she is only holding back t495 - given the luxury of acting after the other's folds, I'd be putting her all-in right here.

If she does have a medium pair, it's quite possible you'll get a desperation call. If not? Well, you picked up a very nice pot.

With 11 unseen overcards (assuming she has at least one of them), proceeding to the turn is just an unnecessary risk IMO. Granted her outs are limited (holding Ax for example). But without a c/r from you on the flop, it's quite possible she'll be pushing any turn on you. If this push comes with an A,K, or J on board, you're looking at giving up the pot.

Granted, you NOT c/r'ing the flop doesn't necessarily mean you're not sitting on a Q yourself (I might just call myself if I had someone betting behind on a non-drawing flop). But this pot size &amp; her remaining stack, leaves her absolutely no other choice but to push or check/fold the turn. And I think you'll be facing a push more times than not.

Don't give her the option - check/push this bet on this flop.