Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2005, 02:49 PM

Default Mis-played a hand, can\'t forget about it!

Every time I play live, it seems like I make a mistake specific to live play. This past weekend though I played a hand so badly. Instead of winning a nice pot, I ended up losing it. If it were online, I know I would've played it completely differently. It especially hurts because of the stakes I play. Here's the hand if you're interested, from memory.

hero is in mp, villain is in lp, pfr is sb.
Hero is dealt: AdJd
I limp, villain limps, sb raises, we both call.

flop: 3d 7d Qh
pfr bets half the pot (I can tell he missed).
-Mistake#1 I call. (I'm getting a great price to draw out
but he's not going to pay me if i hit. I can easily push him
off of his AK if I raise.)
-villain raises to 3x pfr's bet. pfr folds.
-mistake #2 I call. (I couldn't tell if villain was raising with a queen, or a flush draw. If he has a flush draw, then he's practically drawing dead and I want to keep him in there. That was my flawed reasoning. However, if he doesn't have a flush draw, I won't get payed a dime out of position. If he does have a queen, and I miss, I'm left with little options out of position.

What I should've done was re-raise all in. I had villain covered, and the re-raise would've been a reasonable bet compared to the pot. Since he limped in , if he does have a queen, his kicker is probably not that good, it would be a difficult call to make. Also, the raise may look like I had a set, trying to slow play. The re-raise all in is clearly the superior choice)

turn: 2d 7d Qh (Js)

-mistake#3 I check. Yet again, an all in bet is best.
villain goes all in.
-villain goes all in
-I make a marginal call, not sure if he's on a flush draw, or just has a queen.

River: some brick, I lose to KQo.

I don't' know what it is about playing live. Whenever I realize I've played a hand badly, I come to the conclusion that I just didn't think out the hand correctly. I think it may be because I think everyone is expecting me to act and I don't want to take too long.

This hand really bothered me though. It was a huge pot I know I could've won, but instead I played it like a scrub calling station. Even as I was putting my chips out to call, deep down I know It wasn't the correct play.

So now the problem is I'm having a hard time forgetting about this hand. I keep thinking about how badly I played it, and all the money I should have instead of lost. Any suggestions?
Old 05-29-2005, 03:11 PM

Default Re: Mis-played a hand, can\'t forget about it!

[ QUOTE ]
It was a huge pot I know I could've won, but instead I played it like a scrub calling station.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really think your opponent is going to fold KQ on a Q,7,3 flop? The typical player won't do that.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:15 PM

I had the image of a uber rock who doesn't play. The table always jokes about how little hands I play, and why I even come. After the hand I talked about how I should've re raised all in on the flop, and villian said he couldn't call.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:55 PM

Sometimes they'll call even when they tell you they wouldn't call. Sometimes they'll call even when they think they wouldn't call.

It's not necessarily bad that you're thinking about this hand. I remember hands I misplayed and it's a reminder not to make the same mistake.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:46 PM

You played the hand. You lost. You analyzed your play and processed the information. Nothing more to do. If you let them, the "what ifs" and the "might have beens" will gut you. Lay it down.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:24 AM

Even more than how you played this hand, there's something much deeper that you need to think about...

[ QUOTE ]
It especially hurts because of the stakes I play.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to seriously reevaluate the level you're playing at if misplaying one hand is going to seriously hurt you because of the money in the pot. I know NL is different from fixed Limit, and pots can get big, but this is something you seriously need to think about before you go back...that is, unless I'm reading this wrong...you sound like you're playing above your comfortable level.